[The other side] English

Vet college professor

Vet graduate

Jam.. er... :( Dunno
Thanks!

For me it's different... I've been during 10 months abroad (studying in the UK and doing my placement) and my oral english is quite good. The problem is the writing... I'm terrible. Fucking horrible.

Fdo- An0n1m0
10 months abroad is enough time achieve BIG expertise in any languaje if you already know the basics.

I remember well that weekend I passed in Pau, France, with a french family. In the beginning, I barely spoke, but the next day I felt so comfortable talking in french. In only 3 days I learned a lot of words, can't imagine what it must be to live 10 months abroad.
Peklet escribió:
Jam.. er... :( Dunno

It's "Ham", "Jam" is a kind of marmalade, but I'm not sure what's the difference between Jam and Marmalade.

I'd really like to travel to London for a couple of months to get some confidence in my english. Whenever I had the chance to chat with a native speaker, not a single word would come out from my lips because I felt so ashamed. >_<

And now I can't sleep because of anxiety. Tomorrow I start working again after a year and I'm too nervous, I guess I'll just go to bed and try again because I've only have 5 hours left.
Peklet escribió:10 months abroad is enough time achieve BIG expertise in any languaje if you already know the basics.

I remember well that weekend I passed in Pau, France, with a french family. In the beginning, I barely spoke, but the next day I felt so comfortable talking in french. In only 3 days I learned a lot of words, can't imagine what it must be to live 10 months abroad.

Wow... So..., how many languages do you speak?

Since I started learning English, I've got more interested in other languages and communication itself.

I wish I were as outgoing as you are. It is pretty obvious that the more you speak, the better your English/French gets. Well..., I think I just have to stop being shy, and start talking to other people.
TheSeeker escribió:It's "Ham", "Jam" is a kind of marmalade, but I'm not sure what's the difference between Jam and Marmalade.

[ayay] I know, I guess I got confused by its pronunciation [sonrisa] As for the difference between jam and m armalade, I don't know, but they are definitely different things.

TecnoloVad escribió:Wow... So..., how many languages do you speak?

Since I started learning English, I've got more interested in other languages and communication itself.

I wish I were as outgoing as you are. It is pretty obvious that the more you speak, the better your English/French gets. Well..., I think I just have to stop being shy, and start talking to other people.

Only two [toctoc] English and french, but I kind of "grew up" between those two languajes and spanish.

About english, when I was a child (about 5 YO) I used to spend the whole afternoon watching cartoons in english in a TV channel called "Cartoon Network", so I ended up having some "native language intuition" (you can tell when a word does not sound like spanish, don't you? same for me, in english). That's how it is.

Same story for french, I'be been in France lots of times, because I have family in there. I did not speak french at all, because there was no need to make such effort, as they all speak spanish. But there was a TV channel about videogames, and I spent many hours watching it.

My level in french is way lower than in english, but I easily get used to it, as I have said before. It's just a matter of confidence, you know the words, you know in which order you have to spell them. Just take your time and think.
My cat´s breath smells like cat food
TheSeeker escribió:
It's "Ham", "Jam" is a kind of marmalade, but I'm not sure what's the difference between Jam and Marmalade.

Well, marmalade is a type of jam.

Marmalade is only used with orange or citrics jams.

So, jam is the general english word.

Jelly is the general american word.

Do you understand me? [ayay]
ivanhoe_gg escribió:My cat´s breath smells like cat food

LOL, Phillip is german and he's got my pen.
Ratz escribió:madafakas

jajajajaj X-D
Veo que muchos os empeñais en hacer traducciones literales español-inglés y eso pocas veces funciona y queda feo xD

Lo mas práctico es pensar directamente en inglés, no en español y luego traducir, es así como enseñan los profesores.
Un saludo.
Cecil_Harvey escribió:Veo que muchos os empeñais en hacer traducciones literales español-inglés y eso pocas veces funciona y queda feo xD

Lo mas práctico es pensar directamente en inglés, no en español y luego traducir, es así como enseñan los profesores.
Un saludo.

I can't understand, that's no english! [reojillo] [360º]
Please, can some one tell me what's "key result" means?

Thank you.
4eVaH escribió:Please, can some one tell me what's "key result" means?

Thank you.

A key result is an extremely important result. "Resultado clave", would be a translation in spanish ;-)

Maybe you've been reading about US primaries and Obama's result in Maine? XD Just a wild guess.

Cheers
No, no, i was reading "Loop programs, the language L and primitive recursive functions", i was trying to understand why every primitive recursive belongs to the infinity union of Ln
4eVaH escribió:No, no, i was reading "Loop programs, the language L and primitive recursive functions", i was trying to understand why every primitive recursive belongs to the infinity union of Ln

This is hard to understand even in your own mother language. Good luck.
Este hilo ha sido creado con el propósito de que todos los participantes puedan probar su inglés escrito hablando con los demás foreros sobre cualquier tema. Sin complejos ni trabas, si tu nivel de inglés no es bueno, este puede ser un buen momento para darle duro. Y si lo dominas pero no lo sueles usar, ya sabes, así no se te oxida :P.

Por favor, antes de participad, leed atentamente las reglas del hilo que expongo a continuación :

1. Se podrá hablar sobre cualquier tema, siempre que sea en inglés estricto. Nada de deformaciones pronunciadas, ni argots inútiles.

2. Si alguien reconoce un fallo de idioma en el mensaje de un usuario, se le anima a comentarlo y corregirlo. Esto puede hacerse en español, como única excepción.

3. Si alguien pastea su redacción de inglés o cualquier tareilla del cole similar, en busca de que alguien se la corrija, se le ignora.

Creo que este experimento podría funcionar muy bien si se respetan esas reglas. A ver si la gente se anima.

Y para empezar, voy a mojarme empezando primero. Mi inglés es una mierda, y no lo voy a maquillar. Creo que eso ahora viene de puta madre, que poner el listón bajo al principio está bien pensado xD. Empiezo :

This idea starts in that thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1194702&p=1715442925#p17154429252 . Since i read the title for first time, i was thinking in a exercise like this. Everybody knows that the better way to learn a language is trying to use it in your normal life, and you know that our normal life for now is inside a discussion forum xD. So here we are, enjoy :D
I think that is a good idea but already exist another thread about the same xD

hilo_aprende-ingles-eol-te-ayuda_1194702
"In" excesivo uso, repasa el tema de uso de las preposiciones "in, on, at"
Venga seguro que yo también tendre los mis carencias.

I think this thread, it will be a great chance to practice our english in a popular site. I hope everybody notice that english is not difficult and very easy to learn when you study everyday.
If you Know english you will probably enjoy your favourites movies with original voices.
Also for internet, if you undestand english, you are able to research on many hundreds thousands of english website and find the information which you may look for.
Zekisoft escribió:I think that is a good idea but already exist another thread about the same xD

hilo_aprende-ingles-eol-te-ayuda_1194702

I think is quite different. Here would be more action and more kicks to the english dictionary xD.

KillBastardsII escribió:"In" excesivo uso, repasa el tema de uso de las preposiciones "in, on, at"

Thanks!

KillBastardsII escribió:I think this thread, it will be a great chance to practice our english in a popular site. I hope everybody notice that english is not difficult and very easy to learn when you study everyday.
If you Know english you will probably enjoy your favourites movies with original voices.
Also for internet, if you undestand english, you are able to research on many hundreds thousands of english website and find the information which you may look for.

Yes, english is almost the most important thing to survive in new technologies world. I am a student of Engineering of Computer Science and i miss a lot of english vocabulary when i go to search references to study.
Don't forget about watching series, movies, or reading books!
We should use the other thread.

But not that one... I think we had another thread with the same aim that this one, but I could not find it... Any idea?

An0n1m0
An0n1m0 escribió:We should use the other thread.

But not that one... I think we had another thread with the same aim that this one, but I could not find it... Any idea?

An0n1m0

Come on, if an allmighty mod like you ain't able to find something, how are we supossed to do it? [carcajad]
nice.. XD I would love to practice my english with you guys...

saludos desde Mission .Tx [plas]
Are you kidding me? I am living in Texas too!
This idea starts in that thread. Since THE MOMENT I read the title for THE first time, I (con mayúscula el Yo)was thinking in AN exercise like this. Everybody knows that the better BEST way to learn a language is TO TRY TO USE IT in your normal EVERYDAY life, and you know that our normal EVERYDAY life for now is inside a discussion forum xD. So here we are, enjoy :D

TheChosenOne (xDD) I have corrected some of your mistakes by using capital letters, since we are here to learn and not only to chatter like parrots [carcajad]. If you don't understand something, please tell me and I will try to explain the mistakes ; )

By the way, all of you have my permission to correct me (in fact, I'm asking you to do it).
1984 escribió:By the way, all of you have my permission to correct me (in fact, I'm asking you to do it).

If you were in Texas you will use y'all.

Is like vosotros but redneck style XD

Fdo- An0n1m0
Can i open a newtopic for the catalan language?
An0n1mous, just out of curiosity, for how long have you lived in Texas? And what are you doing there?
URTYK escribió:Can i open a newtopic for the catalan language?

for catalonian language [ginyo]
Knos escribió:Don't forget about watching series, movies, or reading books!

I think these are the best ways to improve your english. I've been watching VOS(*) series since I discovered that I could watch the weekly chapter months before than the dubbed into Spanish ones. And now I'm beginning to skip reading the subtitles (I know, I know... but I really bad with languages XD).

The books are easier instead, and if you visit England, you'll find that there are lots and lots of book stores with great offers, mainly with paperback books.

An0n1m0us XD What's a redneck?

PS.- Great thread!
Can I practise English with all of EOL brothers?

I´m turning to study English because in my interiews to find a job, speak correctly is very important in the best companies.

Sorry by my mistakes, I Hope you can help me a little.

Thank you
Hi to everybody, I join to the party!

Redneck is a similar concept than our 'paleto'. Originally from the south, now can be able to anyone with low social/cultural level. A redneck example can be "Cletus", from the Simpsons. That guy:

Imagen

PS: Does nobody remember the Redneck Rampage videogame?? XD
eraser escribió:
Knos escribió:Don't forget about watching series, movies, or reading books!

I think these are the best ways to improve your english. I've been watching VOS(*) series since I discovered that I could watch the weekly chapter months before than the dubbed into Spanish ones. And now I'm beginning to skip reading the subtitles (I know, I know... but I really bad with languages XD).

The books are easier instead, and if you visit England, you'll find that there are lots and lots of book stores with great offers, mainly with paperback books.

An0n1m0us XD What's a redneck?

PS.- Great thread!

Well you know, I've been watching series in english for years now, and don't get embarrased for using subtitles! Languages are increadibly complex, furthermore in a native context, they can be used to learn expressions, idioms, pronounciation, registers, or accents, I still use subs as a support!
Knos escribió:Well you know, I've been watching series in english for years now, and don't get embarrased for using subtitles! Languages are increadibly complex, furthermore in a native context, they can be used to learn expressions, idioms, pronounciation, registers, or accents, I still use subs as a support!

And you can try to correct them (mentally) XD.
Knos escribió:

Catalan language ;)
joseag escribió:
Knos escribió:

Catalan language ;)

I checked it out and it's true, where the heck did I took it out from?
Hello everyone!!!

You speak (well.... write...) English very well!!! 4 or 5 years ago I spoke better than nowadays because I was studying English in an Academy....

I watch ALL the films with the original sound too (subtitled into Spanish...) , it's cool to hear the differents accents....The best film in my opinion hering it in English is Pulp Fiction!!! There are a lot of different accents! for example, the tipical "nigger" accent with Samuel L. Jackson and the spanish/latin/portuguesse accent with Maria de Madeiros (Bruce Willis' girlfriend in the film). This film MUST see watched by everyone!!!!

I also like to hear the Spanish accent on films where appear Spanish actors (e.g. No Country For Old Men... Bardem is AWSOME there). They are the best English-speakers in the world!!! (if I understand what they say---> they are the best xDDD)

Goodbye my friends.

PS: It's extrange for me writting in English here, in EOL....

Yo tambien me lio mucho con el IN, ON, AT.... vaya lio!
Jayyyysus ya muppets!

Ya think ye're learning "Da Reel English" tha' way?

Go feckin' London or Manchester or fecking Dublin and get rowdy with sum skangers or townies or sumthin', ya see wha' the reel english is about ya feckers!
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

:Ð cawento :Ð
I think that it's very problematic watch american tv shows cause you learn american language against britain language... What do you think about this?

By dogs!

Red greetings.
Knos escribió:

It's Catalan here and in popular china

(I know, very BAD joke :Ð )
What I like the most when watching films is to listen to Spanish people such as Zapatero, Nadal or Penélope Cruz speaking English. Having those people as an image of Spain abroad is quite embarrassing (because they reflect of our deficient education), but it's funny at the same time. Listening to English and American people speaking in Spanish is also interesting (Obama for example is an exception since he doesn't sound very weird).
1984 escribió:What I like the most when watching films is to listen to Spanish people such as Zapatero, Nadal or Penélope Cruz speaking English. Having those people as an image of Spain abroad is quite embarrassing (because they reflect of our deficient education), but it's funny at the same time. Listening to English and American people speaking in Spanish is also interesting (Obama for example is an exception since he doesn't sound very weird).

But Gasol speaks very good!
1984 escribió:
This idea starts in that thread. Since THE MOMENT I read the title for THE first time, I (con mayúscula el Yo)was thinking in AN exercise like this. Everybody knows that the better BEST way to learn a language is TO TRY TO USE IT in your normal EVERYDAY life, and you know that our normal EVERYDAY life for now is inside a discussion forum xD. So here we are, enjoy :D

TheChosenOne (xDD) I have corrected some of your mistakes by using capital letters, since we are here to learn and not only to chatter like parrots [carcajad]. If you don't understand something, please tell me and I will try to explain the mistakes ; )

No, I understand it (for now... my memory fails xD). Many thanks Ms. Nineteen Eighty Four.

I think that the Spaniard who has the best pronunciation in english is Lain.
paliyoes escribió:I think that it's very problematic watch american tv shows cause you learn american language against britain language... What do you think about this?

By dogs!

Red greetings.

The same happens with "spanish of spain" language and spanish of south america. In my opinion both are good and i always try to learn words from both "languages".
949 respuestas
13, 4, 5, 6, 719