[The other side] English

Sure, in spain we usually study the Standar british, but is a language more wide than that.
Another good one for nigga style is The Wire, an awesome serie :)
I can only say this:

I don't understand you [+risas]
Cosmiton escribió:The same happens with "spanish of spain" language and spanish of south america. In my opinion both are good and i always try to learn words from both "languages".

I think the american language is better than the british one in orden to the comprehension at speaking.

See ya! [bye]
I have an idea, Can we create a recopilation of phrases like "Me piro vampiro" but in english.

Me first:

I'll see you later, alligater :p.

Red greetings.
IF U SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING!!???
Imagen
offtopic
paliyoes escribió:I have an idea, Can we create a recopilation of phrases like "Me piro vampiro" but in english.

Me first:

Red greetings.

I think that these phrases are called "idioms". For example, "to get along like a house on fire" in spanish means like "llevarse bien con alguien".

See ya! [bye]
djpinchu está baneado por "usar clon para saltarse baneo temporal"
Rain cats and dogs: " Llueve a cantaros"
i'd say that it is rainING cats and dogs, not sure tough.

Cheers
paliyoes escribió:I have an idea, Can we create a recopilation of phrases like "Me piro vampiro" but in english.

Me first:

Red greetings.

That reminds me of a series of books (From lost to the river, Speaking in silver, Like fish in the water are three of them) in which Spanish idioms are literally translated into English. For example: You have more tale than little street (tienes más cuento que calleja), The mother who gave birth to him (la madre que lo parió), To fuck the female pig (joder la marrana), The female neighbor hallucinates (alucina vecina), R that r (erre que erre) and so on. "By the silly, by the silly" you learn new vocabulary xDD

And a few years ago, my English teacher gave us a sheet of paper with something like this which I've found on the internet:

Boy as n r = Voy a cenar = I'm gonna have a dinner
N L C John = en el sillón = on the armchair
Be a hope and son = viejo panzón = fat old man
Who and see to seek ago = Juancito se cagó = Little John is a chicken things.
S toy tree stone = estoy tristón = I'm kind a sad.
Lost trap eat toss = los trapitos = the little rags
Tell o boy ah in cruise tar = Te lo voy a incrustar = I'm going to
insert it in you
Pass a lass all saw= pasa la salsa = Pass the sauce
L gatt e town= el gatito = the kitten
T engo sap aty toss eat tall e an oz= tengo zapatos italianos = Have italian shoes
Desk can saw = descanso = (you) rest.
Come at a lost ugh wack cat tess = comete los aguacates = eat the avocados
As say toon as = aceitunas = olives.
The head the star mall less stan dough = deje de estar molestando = stop bugging me.
Ball add the pay jazz sad us = bola de payasadas = silly stuff.
See eye = si hay = yes we have
T n s free o ? = tienes frió = are you cold?
Web Us Com Ham On = Huevos con Jamón = Eggs with ham
Tea duck queen? = ¿Te da cuéééén? = Have you noticed?
Elf R E = El Fary = (Famous Spanish singer)
T N S L P P B N T S O = Tienes el pipi bien tieso = you have an
erection.

If I become an English teacher, I'll teach English this way, with songs, poems, videos and discussions. One of the main problems with our education is those boring and monotonous lessons with exercises in a book and a teacher repeating the same thing on and on.
1984 escribió:Tea duck queen? = ¿Te da cuéééén? = Have you noticed?

GREAT!!!!! I am Rolling On the Floor Laughing (ROFL)

Another popular phrase:

"The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain" from My Fair Lady.
1984 escribió:If I become an English teacher, I'll teach English this way, with songs, poems, videos and discussions. One of the main problems with our education is those boring and monotonous lessons with exercises in a book and a teacher repeating the same thing on and on.

My wife is teacher at the EOI and tells me that the books she's using this year are really great as they use modern and interesting topics to teach, not as when we were students...

Ps.- I know, I know, At blacksmith's house, stick knife [+risas]
(because I've never learned english as well as to being capable of having a difficult conversation in english) XD
A point that one of my friends once made was that when you're learning a language, you are just learning it to be able to express yourself in that language, not to learn the proper grammar, you know, all the bits and bobs of it. You see, he had this teacher from london who used to insist in things like: "don't call it tomeito, call it tomato since tomeito is the american way and therefore is not proper".

I think this is totally wrong, you want to talk a language not to be a flippin' phililogist. The approach must be as wide and understanding as possible, so teaching different ways will make you understand more accents and so.

For instance, me voy a pirar:
americans would say i'm gonna take off
here in ireland they would say i'm gonna head off.
I think it is good to know different ways to say things in different places, to get a wider understanding of the language.

class dismissed! XD
waylander escribió:
class dismissed! XD

Too much Battlestar Galactica, am I wrong?.

What i do think is that spanish english teachers never put enough effort on the accent, ant it's vital if u try to talk fluently a language.
waylander escribió:A point that one of my friends once made was that when you're learning a language, you are just learning it to be able to express yourself in that language, not to learn the proper grammar, you know, all the bits and bobs of it. You see, he had this teacher from london who used to insist in things like: "don't call it tomeito, call it tomato since tomeito is the american way and therefore is not proper".

I think this is totally wrong, you want to talk a language not to be a flippin' phililogist. The approach must be as wide and understanding as possible, so teaching different ways will make you understand more accents and so.

For instance, me voy a pirar:
americans would say i'm gonna take off
here in ireland they would say i'm gonna head off.
I think it is good to know different ways to say things in different places, to get a wider understanding of the language.

class dismissed! XD

It may be because I'm a flippin' philologist, but I don't agree with you.

The reason why we learn British English or the Portuguese from Portugal and not from Brazil, and the reason why Americans are taught the Spanish from Latin America, is that we are taught the variety of the language that we are most likely to use because of geographical reasons. Therefore, in European countries such as Spain, it's common practice to teach the British English since Spanish people usually travel to the UK and Europe, broadly speaking.

Learning expressions from the English of America, England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, Nigeria, Canada, Malta, etcetera would be very interesting, but it's better to be able to speak properly a language (with no geographical distinctions, the standard language), than to learn the differences of the linguistic variations such as pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, spelling and so on. That would confuse the students, so the first thing to be learned is the standard language, and then, its varieties. That's why in English Philology these differences are studied, because its students can speak correctly English, the basis to study these variations in detail.

Pronouncing /tə'meɪtəʊ / instead of /tə'mɑ:təʊ/ is not a serious mistake (in my opinion, I mean) because it's the same word for both British and American people, but saying trunk instead of boot could be confusing depending on the context.

My teachers usually indicate color (colour in British English) or analyze (analyse) as mistakes, but it is logical (and frustrating at the same time). I have spoken in Paris to a receptionist who spoke Spanish from Latin America and it was really weird, so I understand that our teachers insist on focusing on the British English (though it is sometimes difficult not to confuse it with the American one).
1984, i hate u, ur level is so fucking good... i wish one day i could get it, maybe if i live abroad XD

I've one question, how the hell should we say "me ha hecho mucha ilusión" in english?. For example an old friend who greets u in ur bday or whatever, u can say "it made me happy" but it's not the exact meaning...

Cheers
[]_MoU_[] escribió:I've one question, how the hell should we say "me ha hecho mucha ilusión" in english?. For example an old friend who greets u in ur bday or whatever, u can say "it made me happy" but it's not the exact meaning...

I think it would be something like "I'm delighted you remember my birthday", you can replace (to be) delighted with (to be) thrilled, which is a much stronger emotion.
1984's level sucks, she's a newbie [poraki]
(Kidding, sweeatheart, it's my revenge for not visiting me in Poland [carcajad] )

Anyway, I wanna know the same, I have a couple of ideas, but I cannot get to a deff conclusion.
Stark22 está baneado por "Usar clon para saltarse baneo de subforo"
1984's English level is good 'cuz she's studying English Filology. I think she has almost native. But she can improve this level very very much.
philips está baneado por "troll"
s
I like very much english language, i can understand almost all that you wrote but i have a lot of problems when i want express myself. Please can you indicate and correct my mistakes?
I'm so tired because i came from run ten minutes ago, now i'm going to take a shower and eat something.
Fuck you and have a nice day! ([+risas] i had to say that, i like this phrase)
PS: It is a great thread, is a pity that it is a little stopped.
Menopausia escribió:I like very much the english language, i can understand almost everything (That is omitted when the next word is the subject of a verb) you write but I have a lot of problems when i want to express myself. Please can you indicate and correct my mistakes?
I'm so tired because i came back from runnin ten minutes ago, now i'm going to take a shower and eat something.
Fuck you and have a nice day! ( [+risas] i had to say that, i like this sentence)
PS: this is a great thread, is a pity that it is a bit stopped.

As you asked, there you have the corrected version as far as I know, any doubts please feel free to ask :)
I don't understand the meaning or the sense of this thread but I love it :)
Knos escribió:
Menopausia escribió:I like very much the English language,I can understand almost everything (That is omitted when the next word is the subject of a verb) you write but I have a lot of problems when I want to express myself. Please can you indicate and correct my mistakes?
I'm so tired because I came back from runnin[b]G[/b] ten minutes ago, now I'm going to take a shower and eat something.
Fuck you and have a nice day! ( [+risas] I had to say that, I like this sentence)
PS: this is a great thread, is a pity that it is a bit stopped.

As you asked, there you have the corrected version as far as I know, any doubts please feel free to ask :)

Re-recorrection.
Remember, the personal pronoum "I" is always in capital letters as well as the nationalities and languages and words how "Christmas" "Easter"...
I knew that, but I didn't consider it necessary as a correction, but yeah, you are right and it's totally advisible if you wanna sound "formal" or correct; in a relaxed context anyway, is suitable to be written in normal letters.
I'd say "I like very much..." is a bad translation from Spanish. "I love..." would be the correct form. Anyone to confirm that?

CU!
Hi there!! My name is Still and I´m alcoholic.
Terrible joke.. I know... [ayay]
Now i have nothing to say, but I will check this post frequently, because it seems very interesting, and I star to going to the official languages school in my city very soon, the pre-inscriptions will be open soon.
I want go because of in my next job it is neccessary :)
And, that it's all for the moment.

I want finish with my favourite english phrase "Good news, everyone!" from Futurama.
What will be your next job?

One of my fave sentences is... That's all, folks!
Naje escribió:I'd say "I like very much..." is a bad translation from Spanish. "I love..." would be the correct form. Anyone to confirm that?

CU!

I think that too. It's strange for the Spanish speakers, but "love" in English isn't like in Spanish. But you can continue saying "I love you" to the girls [carcajad]
Lo he puesto bien? :(
albendea escribió:
Naje escribió:I'd say "I like very much..." is a bad translation from Spanish. "I love..." would be the correct form. Anyone to confirm that?

CU!

I think that too. It's strange for the Spanish speakers, but "love" in English isn't like in Spanish. But you can continue saying "I love you" to the girls [carcajad]
Lo he puesto bien? :(

I think so, but I'm not an expert on English hehe ;)

Instead of continue I would rephrase the sentence using still.
Hi there...my name is AGgggggggggmehd...I´m a terrifying terrorist...are u scared???....

Silence...I KILL YOU!!!

Anyway, I love this man jeje, you should see all his videos!!! What could I say...mMMm...I hate my work, Im sleepy and...TV SUCKSSSS!!!! TV Schedule SuckSSSS!!!!
I didn't know that we've got this thread to speak in English, mr proppers!
Fulanitodetal escribió:I didn't know that we've got this thread to speak in English, mr proppers!

ajjajajaj Im not bold man!!!
Lo digo en castellano porque sino no se si lo diria bien.

Estuve muchos años estudiando ingles en el cole y en una academia lo que hace como que 6 años que no toco nada asi que lo que sabía lo tengo oxidado.
Alguien sabe de alguna pagina web que puedas aprender pero no rollo vocabulario sino a aprender a escribir con ejemplos o situaciones... vamos que no sea un coñazo de palabritas xD

De esta manera podré ir haciendo algo en casa en mis ratillos libres.

Gracias!
Anuskafm escribió:Lo digo en castellano porque sino no se si lo diria bien.

Estuve muchos años estudiando ingles en el cole y en una academia lo que hace como que 6 años que no toco nada asi que lo que sabía lo tengo oxidado.
Alguien sabe de alguna pagina web que puedas aprender pero no rollo vocabulario sino a aprender a escribir con ejemplos o situaciones... vamos que no sea un coñazo de palabritas xD

Gracias!

I tried a NDS game which was amazing for this stuff, maybe you can try it too...but i dont remember the exact name, My english teacher or something similar...trust me, is cool.
I think the best option to pratise english is talking with people... I've studied english for a long time when I was a child, but after, I spend some years without speaking it... Four years ago, foreing players came to my basketball team and I had the chances of talk with them a lot of. My english skills grown up again, but now, I think that I'm losing them again...

Regards!!
ViNsEDj escribió:
Anuskafm escribió:Lo digo en castellano porque sino no se si lo diria bien.

Gracias!

I tried a NDS game which was amazing for this stuff, maybe you can try it too...but i dont remember the exact name, My english teacher or something similar...trust me, is cool.

he estado buscando y he encontrado: ENGLISH TRAINING
curiosidades de la vida: hace un par de semanas queria comprarme un juego de la NDS pero no sabia cual XD
gracias!

si sabéis de algo mas os estaré agradecida.

saludos.
this post it´s a trap.......sheldon (big bang theory) is not wrong......
Anuskafm escribió:he estado buscando y he encontrado: ENGLISH TRAINING
curiosidades de la vida: hace un par de semanas queria comprarme un juego de la NDS pero no sabia cual XD
gracias!

si sabéis de algo mas os estaré agradecida.

saludos.

Other game for Nintendo DS is PRACTISE ENGLISH
Imagen

But if you wanna improve your English and remember expressions and words, watch tv series in English is better method.
Still escribió:Hi there!! My name is Still and I´m alcoholic.

Hello Still! XD
philips está baneado por "troll"
s
philips escribió:s

Ohhh, don't use this threat to up your messages!!

I like the idea because I want to improve my english. xDD

I suscribe it (Lo he dicho bien??)

Bye!
I think that the better form of learn english is speakin´ and listenin´ a lot of!
I like this language so much! I was three weeks in the part south of england and I liked these so much!
I believe that this summer I´m gonna go other time again there, because I love this place!

This idea of a english thread is so good, because us we can comunicate and improve our english!

Something know where I can improve my listening and speaking?
I heard something about skype, that all the people of the other countries can comunicate whit a heardphones and
improve your listening and speaking.

If you know something about this, please say me it

Thanks so much for listen me and bye bye!!
wakka escribió:I think that the better form of learn english is speakin´ and listenin´ a lot of!
I like this language so much! I was three weeks in the part south of england and I liked these so much!
I believe that this summer I´m gonna go other time again there, because I love this place!

This idea of a english thread is so good, because us we can comunicate and improve our english!

Something know where I can improve my listening and speaking?
I heard something about skype, that all the people of the other countries can comunicate whit a heardphones and
improve your listening and speaking.

If you know something about this, please say me it

Thanks so much for listen me and bye bye!!

Play games in english, is the way I choose for that since I was a child.
Wakka, no offense, your english is good, totally understandable, but you have important mistakes in your comment.
I'm sorry if I'm always pointing what must be corrected, but in the short future I may become a teacher and it's a habit. I won't correct anyone unless this person ask me for it.

But well, Wakka, a great starting, know what it is? Get a movie that you like, that you've already watched for example, or watch it in spanish, and once you know what it is about, and the dialogues and stuff, watch it again in english with english subtitles. I don't like mixing both languages in the same movie because is natural paying more attention to your mother tongue.
¿Tongue o language?

Teacher!!! xDDD

Bye!
waylander escribió:class dismissed! XD

Always kinda preferred "Here endeth the lesson", à la The Untouchables XD
A few days ago, a friend told me that australians have an particularity on words finished in -man. For example, they say "posty" not "postman". So, I was watching TV yesterday and an australian was talkin'...and he used that particularity, so it's true XD.
Knos escribió:Wakka, no offense, your english is good, totally understandable, but you have important mistakes in your comment.
I'm sorry if I'm always pointing what must be corrected, but in the short future I may become a teacher and it's a habit. I won't correct anyone unless this person ask me for it.

But well, Wakka, a great starting, know what it is? Get a movie that you like, that you've already watched for example, or watch it in spanish, and once you know what it is about, and the dialogues and stuff, watch it again in english with english subtitles. I don't like mixing both languages in the same movie because is natural paying more attention to your mother tongue.

I am extremely critic when people commit mistakes, both in English and Spanish, and I also try to control myself in these cases to avoid seeming like an arrogant. I'm glad my friends are used to this teaching illness that is very common among philologists : )

Oh, and by the way, if we keep on talking in English ABOUT English this thread will soon get lost in the dark Miscelanean depths because it's quite boring. The idea, if I am not mistaken, was to speak about anything to practise our language skills. Like the singles' thread or the CEV one (what does CEV stand for, anyway? xD).
949 respuestas
14, 5, 6, 7, 819