[The other side] English

115, 16, 17, 18, 19
Bereton está baneado por "Clon de usuario baneado"
Hi! is there someone in this forum who likes English literature as much as me? I especially love Yeats' poems. I know, I know, he is Irish, not English, but hell, he writes in English language. Come to think of it, many great writers in English language are Irish: Jonathan Swift, Edmund Burke, James Joyce, Yeats... Others are American: Herman Melville, Emily Dickinson, T.S. Eliot. And a few, like Dickens, Thackeray, Auden or John Donne, are English. Hahaha, no, no I was joking! Don't take seriously what I just said, England has produced many great writers, too... Virginia Wolf, for example, or the Brontë sisters. Many great female writers from England, I don't know exactly why. Perhaps it's because women always enjoyed a higher status in England than in most continental countries. You can see that some continental regions where women also enjoyed a high status, such as Galicia, also produced some reat female writers (like Rosalia de Castro, in the case of Galicia).
Bereton escribió:Hi! is there someone in this forum who likes English literature as much as me? I especially love Yeats' poems. I know, I know, he is Irish, not English, but hell, he writes in English language. Come to think of it, many great writers in English language are Irish: Jonathan Swift, Edmund Burke, James Joyce, Yeats... Others are American: Herman Melville, Emily Dickinson, T.S. Eliot. And a few, like Dickens, Thackeray, Auden or John Donne, are English. Hahaha, no, no I was joking! Don't take seriously what I just said, England has produced many great writers, too... Virginia Wolf, for example, or the Brontë sisters. Many great female writers from England, I don't know exactly why. Perhaps it's because women always enjoyed a higher status in England than in most continental countries. You can see that some continental regions where women also enjoyed a high status, such as Galicia, also produced some reat female writers (like Rosalia de Castro, in the case of Galicia).

What about modern English literature? I'm a great fan of Terry Pratchett and I'm currently reading the trilogy of five books by Douglas Adams which starts with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (recommended to anyone who would like to have a good laugh!).
Does anyone recommend me some series with British accent? Thank you very much.

P.D: Sorry for my mistakes. I'm in the progress to learning... [+risas]
Bereton escribió:Hi! is there someone in this forum who likes English literature as much as me? I especially love Yeats' poems. I know, I know, he is Irish, not English, but hell, he writes in English language. Come to think of it, many great writers in English language are Irish: Jonathan Swift, Edmund Burke, James Joyce, Yeats... Others are American: Herman Melville, Emily Dickinson, T.S. Eliot. And a few, like Dickens, Thackeray, Auden or John Donne, are English. Hahaha, no, no I was joking! Don't take seriously what I just said, England has produced many great writers, too... Virginia Wolf, for example, or the Brontë sisters. Many great female writers from England, I don't know exactly why. Perhaps it's because women always enjoyed a higher status in England than in most continental countries. You can see that some continental regions where women also enjoyed a high status, such as Galicia, also produced some reat female writers (like Rosalia de Castro, in the case of Galicia).

Hi Bereton!

I studied the degree in English studies three years ago, so I know something about English, Irish and American literature :P My favourite writers are George Orwell (hence my nickname), Oscar Wilde and Edgar Allan Poe. This year I had to teach my students the basics of the American literature and history and they loved my explanations. I talked them about John Smith (yes, the one who appears in Pocahontas), Washington Irving, James Fenimore Cooper, Melville, Hawthorne, Whitman, Dickinson and Poe.

In the history of the Spanish literature we have also a few female writers such as Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, Carmen Martín Gaite, Emilia Pardo Bazán, Santa Teresa de Jesús or Fernán Caballero. Don't forget about them!
1984 escribió:

Hi Bereton!

I studied the degree in English studies three years ago, so I know something about English, Irish and American literature :P My favourite writers are George Orwell (hence my nickname), Oscar Wilde and Edgar Allan Poe. This year I had to teach my students the basics of the American literature and history and they loved my explanations. I talked them about John Smith (yes, the one who appears in Pocahontas), Washington Irving, James Fenimore Cooper, Melville, Hawthorne, Whitman, Dickinson and Poe.

In the history of the Spanish literature we have also a few female writers such as Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, Carmen Martín Gaite, Emilia Pardo Bazán, Santa Teresa de Jesús or Fernán Caballero. Don't forget about them!

Hahaha, many romantic writers! Washington Irving, James Fenimore Cooper... I don't like them, sincerely. Those stories written by Irving that take place in Granada, more exactly in the Alhambra, are too boring to me... And I find Cooper's works, even "The Last Mohican", also very boring, to say the least. Edgar Allan Poe, though, is a fantastic writer, and so is Hermann Melville; in fact I consider "Moby Dick" the best North-American novel. To me it is the most terrifying novel ever written. And I think Walt Whitman and his poems are the second best written in the United States, surpassed only by Dickinson and her poems. Walt Whitman has an special sensibility, one which only a few other writers like Lorca posessed, but Dickinson's poems are too original and innovative; they are unique. It is such a pleasure to speak with someone who knows so much about English, America and Irish literature!
I had to teach the Romantic period so I had to limit myself. If I had freedom to choose the authors and movements, I would have chosen the 20th century: T. S. Eliot, Pound, Faulkner, Fitzgerald, Hemingway... [amor] But in bachillerato, and in the Spanish education in general, students unfortunately don't study that period. In fact, they didn't know anything about the American history so I had to talk them about the noble savage, the city upon a hill, the frontier myth, the independence and the Civil War.

It's surprising (and a pleasure) to meet someone so interested in the English (to make it simple) literature. I can only talk about it with my classmates, and not all of them, since many people get their degree without having read most of the readings.
1984 escribió:I had to teach the Romantic period so I had to limit myself. If I had freedom to choose the authors and movements, I would have chosen the 20th century: T. S. Eliot, Pound, Faulkner, Fitzgerald, Hemingway... [amor] But in bachillerato, and in the Spanish education in general, students unfortunately don't study that period. In fact, they didn't know anything about the American history so I had to talk them about the noble savage, the city upon a hill, the frontier myth, the independence and the Civil War.

It's surprising (and a pleasure) to meet someone so interested in the English (to make it simple) literature. I can only talk about it with my classmates, and not all of them, since many people get their degree without having read most of the readings.

Hmmm, only recently has American literature made its appearance in Bachillerato... Now Spanish students learn about Patricia Highsmith. Yeah, that's right: Patricia Highsmith. They don't learn about Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Nathaniel Hawsthorne, Edgar Allan Poe, Truman Capote, Herman Melville, John Dos Passos... They study Patricia Highsmith. Nonsense. However, at least they are beginning to know American literature to some extent. I think American Literature is not studied more extensively in this country because of prejudices towards Americans.
uhmm i might start posting/reading here. its been a long time since i read/write/speak english and im afraid im forgetting most of it,
i was pretty good at it ( mostly speaking) because i learned english by my own ( ive only learned basic english at school, and i mean pretty basic)

i hope i can learn someting here

cheers every one

(y espero que se pueda poner algo en español por si me atraganto con frases xD)
Cody_Travers escribió:(y espero que se pueda poner algo en español por si me atraganto con frases xD)

[qmparto] [qmparto] [qmparto]

I think so.

In fact I´ve had to use it once.

(Creo que la última frase no queda bien, ¿No?)

;)

Regards!
sayrok escribió:Does anyone recommend me some series with British accent? Thank you very much.

My level isnt good but I would suppress DOES because you ask about someone not for something in your question and I would put ANY instead of SOME
sayrok escribió:Does anyone recommend me some series with British accent? Thank you very much.

I have not seen it but I think there is an English TV show called Misfits where the actors and actresses are British. I watched a movie called Cloud Atlas in which there were some good English actors too. Also another movie called Trance. It is a pretty good movie and I wholeheartedly recommend it if you are fan of movies that deal with the subject of dreams and mind. Think of a mix between Inception and Drive and add some hot steaming sex scenes XD
[quote="sayrok"]Does anyone recommend me some series with British accent? Thank you very much.

You could see The It Crowd or Line of dutty for example(this is from bbc.co.uk web) it won´t be hard to get for you, if you looking for a little, in the bbc.co.uk web you can find other ones, time to time they put on it news tv programs.

I hope to have been of help for you.

The IT Crowd comes to my mind. Also Misfits, but only the first 2-3 seasons.
It is said that if you understand everything Kelly says in Misfits someone knocks on your door and you get the Certificate of Proficiency in English free of charge :p
@Jrue, @Green Blood, @xklibur, @mantxi: Thank you very much! The IT Crowd I'm watching. ;)

A website that was recommended is: EngVid.com. I think that it could be helpful.

Just one thing. After "to" you have to put an infinitive. So you're in progress to learn. Although I don't like it very much.

I recommend you Sherlock and Black Mirror. Especially the first one.
Let's bump this thread.

_Locke_ escribió:I recommend you Sherlock and Black Mirror. Especially the first one.

Sherlock is a fantastic show (the wait for the next season is being so hard), however I think it can be a bit frustrating for someone looking to improve their English hearing skills. Benedict Cumberbatch (the guy playing Sherlock) has an awesome voice and really good diction but he'll often speak extremely fast! I personally feel perfectly comfortable reading, listening and speaking English, but even so I'd find some scenes hard to follow if it weren't for subtitles. [tomaaa] Still, I'd recommend the show to anyone and everyone, definitely one of the best things to come out of TV in the recent years.

British accents aside, another good show I've been watching lately is Hannibal (starring Mads Mikkelsen), some episodes can be a bit slow but it has great moments; I think anyone who enjoys Hannibal Lecter movies will like that show. I don't know a single thing about Black Mirror though, is that any good?
OH, by the way, I have to tell you guys about a website my English teacher recommended us to practice. Fuck, what was it? Oh yes, I remember, http://www.lyricstraining.com.

Disregard fucking Bisbal in the front page XD. There are a lot of songs there that you can practice with. It is like a game where you have to complete the blanks with the missing words; there are three levels of difficulty, in the hardest level you have to write the whole song. There is a karaoke mode too!

I added some songs, but they are in pending review, they have been like that for two months now... oh well, what gives, there are a lot of songs there that have not been approved, so you can search for songs that do not appear in the approved list.

I am pretty sure that you will be able to find bands and singers that are British there! Good luck.
Threnody escribió:I don't know a single thing about Black Mirror though, is that any good?

Yes, it is pretty good. I recommend it. There are only six chapters, and every one of them is independent from the others. They are like short movies, with technology as the only link. There is a threadabout the show, and people seem to like it too.

I agree with you, Sherlock is sometimes quite frustrating (to me too), but I had to recomment it, it's one of my favorite shows right now XD

The third season begins on October 31st.
Green Blood escribió:OH, by the way, I have to tell you guys about a website my English teacher recommended us to practice. Fuck, what was it? Oh yes, I remember, http://www.lyricstraining.com.

Disregard fucking Bisbal in the front page XD. There are a lot of songs there that you can practice with. It is like a game where you have to complete the blanks with the missing words; there are three levels of difficulty, in the hardest level you have to write the whole song. There is a karaoke mode too!

Hmm, that's a pretty cool idea, I'll give it a go when I get home later. :)

I'll also look into Black Mirror, thanks Locke!
Let's revive this thread from the depths of HELL, shall we? Is anyone going to study English this year, or maybe other language?
Green Blood escribió:Let's revive this thread from the depths of HELL, shall we? Is SOMEone going to study English this year, or maybe ANother language?
Care to explain why you are correcting me? You can't go around correcting people without explaining, well you can, but it's rude. Also, anyone is correct, with another, you are probably right.
_Locke_ escribió:

Just one thing. After "to" you have to put an infinitive. So you're in progress to learn. Although I don't like it very much.

I recommend you Sherlock and Black Mirror. Especially the first one.

The road to learning a language is often twisted, Locke. "To" can be part of a phrasal verb, thus requiring a gerund working as an infinitive as the object of the verb, as in "I'm looking forward to seeing you". It may just be the head of a prepositional phrase modifying a noun, as in the opening statement of my post, meaning it must be accompanied by a noun (and gerunds work as nouns, usually describing the action of the verbal base they derive from). In "the road [to success]", the bracketed prepositional phrase works as a modifier to the head of the noun phrase, "road", so there's no verbal use involved. And yes, there's a number of contexts in which "to" must be followed by a bare infinitive. ;)
Green Blood escribió:Care to explain why you are correcting me? You can't go around correcting people without explaining, well you can, but it's rude. Also, anyone is correct, with another, you are probably right.

I dunno y but it's like this
Kimy Hardy escribió:
Green Blood escribió:Care to explain why you are correcting me? You can't go around correcting people without explaining, well you can, but it's rude. Also, anyone is correct, with another, you are probably right.

No wonder you don't know. If you did you would probably know that "anyone" is the right indefinite pronoun to use in interrogative clauses. I'm not implying native speakers don't use "somebody". After all, I usually say "la dije" in preference to "le dije". As for "another", had he used a plural instead, he would have been fine ("other languages").
don pelayo escribió:
kimy Hardy escribió:

No wonder you don't know. If you did you would probably know that "anyone" is the right indefinite pronoun to use in interrogative clauses. I'm not implying native speakers don't use "somebody". After all, I usually say "la dije" in preference to "le dije". As for "another", had he used a plural instead, he would have been fine ("other languages").

Sometimes I say someone in interrogative, also anyone is used in negative form, n' when I'm talking on msn... I say anyone cuz I write any1, but when I've got to speak in an oral conversation I'd say somebody/anybody, n' yeah other languages is correct.

For example (something/anything):
I don't have anything for dinner / I have nothing for dinner
I have to order something for dinner

N' sorry I'm on my mobile phone
Kimy Hardy escribió:Sometimes I say someone in interrogative, also anyone is used in negative form, n' when I'm talking on msn... I say anyone cuz I write any1, but when I've got to speak in an oral conversation I'd say somebody/anybody, n' yeah other languages is correct.

I haven't anything for dinner / I have nothing for dinner

Fuck, I hate those 'cuz' and 'n'', etc. xD

Btw, you made a mistake in one of your sentences:
I haven't anything for dinner -> you can't write haven't, only if you use 'haven't got', but the common way is 'I don't have' (your way actually sounds awful to me)
DemonR escribió:
Kimy Hardy escribió:Sometimes I say someone in interrogative, also anyone is used in negative form, n' when I'm talking on msn... I say anyone cuz I write any1, but when I've got to speak in an oral conversation I'd say somebody/anybody, n' yeah other languages is correct.

I haven't anything for dinner / I have nothing for dinner

Fuck, I hate those 'cuz' and 'n'', etc. xD

Btw, you made a mistake in one of your sentences:
I haven't anything for dinner -> you can't write haven't, only if you use 'haven't got', but the common way is 'I don't have' (your way actually sounds awful to me)

Yeah now I see, cuz I thought 'haven't got' and I was wanting to say 'don't have', n' so I made a big mistake, sorry mah bad, n' finally I ain't sure why thy hate when I say 'n'', 'cuz',...

Pd: sometimes I say: 'i gotta go' or 'i gara go' instead of 'I have to go' n' hi y'all instead of hello you all,...
Ashdown está baneado por "faltas de respeto"
I will not study this year. I am between C1 and C2, but I have recognition only for a plain B2. Instead I am finishing something that I have delayed for very, very long. Maybe next year I can try to finish the CPE, or maybe I will go naked to the CAE exam, which I think I would pass without any kind of problem right now but 200€ are a bunch of money that I do not need to spend if I plan on getting my CPE sometime in the near future. Time for Breaking Bad at the moment and learn from White, Pinkman and company.
Ashdown escribió:I will not study this year. I am between C1 and C2, but I have recognition only for a plain B2. Instead I am finishing something that I have delayed for very, very long. Maybe next year I can try to finish the CPE, or maybe I will go naked to the CAE exam, which I think I would pass without any kind of problem right now but 200€ are a bunch of money that I do not need to spend if I plan on getting my CPE sometime in the near future. Time for Breaking Bad at the moment and learn from White, Pinkman and company.

Yo, bitch, don't use some of the words from Breaking Bad haha
Ashdown está baneado por "faltas de respeto"
I am supposed to use them situationally. Something like always but at work.
Kimy Hardy escribió:
don pelayo escribió:

Sometimes I say someone in interrogative, also anyone is used in negative form, n' when I'm talking on msn... I say anyone cuz I write any1, but when I've got to speak in an oral conversation I'd say somebody/anybody, n' yeah other languages is correct.

I don't have anything for dinner / I have nothing for dinner

Hardy, the fact that you use somewhatever in the interrogative does not make it grammatical. That‘s all my criticism to your corrections to green blood's post. Anyone is fine though.
Okay I know 'anybody' is for interrogative n' negative, but sometimes it's possible to use 'somebody' in an interrogative question. Well but you know 'another language' it's correct, is it?
I think so, I actually would've prefer 'any other language', but whatever...
Kimy Hardy escribió:Okay I know 'anybody' is for interrogative n' negative, but sometimes it's possible to use 'somebody' in an interrogative question. Well but you know 'another language' is correct, don't you?
[rtfm]

Yes, Hardy, I do.

DemonR escribió:I think so, I actually would've prefer 'any other language', but whatever...

Put that in the context of green blood's post. Not the best option.
'It's correct, is it?' It was ok
Kimy Hardy escribió:'It's correct, is it?' It was ok

Depends on what your question was; whether I knew or whether it is correct. And your question was whether I knew. So yes, you are wrong, both in the choice of the auxiliary verb and in the assertiveness of the question. It should be in the negative.
don pelayo escribió:
Kimy Hardy escribió:'It's correct, is it?' It was ok

Depends on what your question was; whether I knew or whether it is correct. And your question was whether I knew. So yes, you are wrong, both in the choice of the auxiliary verb and in the assertiveness of the question. It should be in the negative.

That wasn't a mistake
Fine, Hardy. It wasn't a mistake. It was nice to discuss grammar with you.
don pelayo escribió:
DemonR escribió:I think so, I actually would've prefer 'any other language', but whatever...

Yep, sorry. I really wanted to say 'some other language'.

PS: I hate this language.
DemonR escribió:
don pelayo escribió:

Yep, sorry. I really wanted to say 'some other language'.

PS: I hate this language.

Demon, you are fine. Any other language is perfectly acceptable. However, in the context of green blood's post it is slightly more appropriate to say "other languages", because of the "maybe". It's a question of necessity. You don't really need to use "any" there. It doesn't add any relevant information that is not already implied in "maybe".
don pelayo escribió:Fine, Hardy. It wasn't a mistake. It was nice to discuss grammar with you.

Awww don't get mad please
marcelus90 está baneado del subforo por "flamer"
I wake up t 6 o'clock becuse today is my first day of the university. I will go to the university at 7:30 ! More soon, i'm little slept ( pasado de sleep?). Well, i write here only for practise, i need it xD. You will see... my level is..... i don't know what to say... mmm deficient.
Someone help me? ( lo habéis entendido?)
Great topic!

Me and my husband are trying to move to New Zealand. If everything goes ok, we'll make it in january-march 2014.

We are so exited! We want to go there since we visited in our Honey Moon, and now we are looking for a private professor to pass IELTS exam (in Australia and New Zealand is the type of exam the ussualy ask for).

Wish us good luck!
marcelus90 está baneado del subforo por "flamer"
Good luck happy family! You're level english is very good! I hope everything goes good in your travel to New Zealand!
Thanks! I think my level is good enough to have a conversation with anyone if I have to, but I think I need to improve my english skills if I want to find a proper job in New Zealand. And my husband has the same level as me, but he has a very important problem he needs to solve before the travel.

He need more fluency, because when he starts to speak in english, we don´t know why, but he is like... trapped, bloked and he doubts a lot. He understand better than he talks, so... that´s a skill he need to improve!
Golondrino escribió:Thanks! I think my level is good enough to have a conversation with anyone if I have to, but I think I need to improve my english skills if I want to find a proper job in New Zealand. And my husband has the same level as me, but he has a very important problem he needs to solve before the travel.

He need more fluency, because when he starts to speak in english, we don´t know why, but he is like... trapped, bloked and he doubts a lot. He understand better than he talks, so... that´s a skill he need to improve!

I know that feel.

I have the same problem.

When I start to speak English I don´t know why my mind stops and can´t think quickly to continue for a conversation... How now... :(

I have to improve my conversation level. But It is a generally problem because We haven´t to practise who with...

Sorry for my mistakes [tadoramo]

;)

Regards!
949 respuestas
115, 16, 17, 18, 19