[The other side] English

Hi everybody! I´m just finished the last season of "Little Britain". Did somebody watched it?

I thing is pretty funny, and good for english students to keep some popular expressions and words.
Also keep my attention the fact that "la hora chanante" is really similar to this serial, a stupid humour heritage of the Monthy Python´s, eternal and always funny [carcajad]

P.D. 1984, I don´t know what type of philologist do you know. In my class the most of the people don´t give a shit about language or anything but tv and going out [mamaaaaa]
Günnar escribió:Hi everybody! I´m just finished the last season of "Little Britain". Did somebody watched it?

I thing is pretty funny, and good for english students to keep some popular expressions and words.
Also keep my attention the fact that "la hora chanante" is really similar to this serial, a stupid humour heritage of the Monthy Python´s, eternal and always funny [carcajad]

P.D. 1984, I don´t know what type of philologist do you know. In my class the most of the people don´t give a shit about language or anything but tv and going out [mamaaaaa]

Uoohhh. I love British humour! I haven't seen all the episodes of Little Britain yet, but it is one of those things you have to do before dying. I am "Monty Pythonian" since I watched Life of Brian. And yes, The Chanante Hour has a bit of this humour and I like it because of its use of the irony, the absurd and the intelligence (for instance, I hate humorists such as The Morancos or Chiquito from the Road - xD). The truth is that, apart from British humour and monologues in general, I am not very keen on these things.

PS: I understand their passion for going out, but I don't understand the telly thing. I don't usually hear people talking about it around my faculty. Instead, they talk about the degree, the degree again, and maybe travelling abroad (to an English-speaking country in order to learn something for their degree, of course).
Hi, my nickname is poxolate3.
poxolate3 escribió:Hi, my nickname is poxolate3.

Why is the reason for such an "exotic" nickname XD ?
This is so quiet...

Hi everybody!!

I'll check this topic frequently because I'm going to start classes in the oficial language school and I want to practise overall the writing, because I can understand more or less what other people write but it's so dificult to me to comunicate what I want to say (for example I have been writing this post for 5 minutes XD ).

Sorry, don' kill me [+risas]. I know that I have sooooo much mistakes in my post but if I don't try it I won't never improve my english and I think that this is a good oportunity for it.

Bye everyone!! [bye] (How do you say "Saludos" in english?)
Uh, hello everyone. I think i've never wrote in this post, but since now I will try to speak with you all to practise my english, as I will go next year to Preston with the Erasmus grant, and of course I'll need a good english level.

By the way, Saturday Night Life in USA is like 30x better than spanish one. If you want to see the program with subtitles, in Canal+ they use to show some episodes.

Bye mates!
Hi, this is an interesting topic.

I'll go to Denmark in a few weeks for 4 days, and I think my english is very poor, maybe because I don't practice, and it's very important to learn a language.

This is a good place to do it.
by the way, is anyone going to live in Burdeos next year?. Get ready, i'm coming!
[]_MoU_[] escribió:by the way, is anyone going to live in Burdeos next year?. Get ready, i'm coming!

Burdeaux is France, isn't it?? There, you won't talk a lot of english, maybe french XD
Zeus_41 escribió:
[]_MoU_[] escribió:by the way, is anyone going to live in Burdeos next year?. Get ready, i'm coming!

Burdeaux is France, isn't it?? There, you won't talk a lot of english, maybe french XD

I know, that's the target. I already have a good level of English and (obviously) spanish, so next one is French. I'm gonna live there some months till i get a good level XD

It's a good excuse for being on party with Erasmus again hehehe.
G0RD0N escribió:
poxolate3 escribió:Hi, my nickname is poxolate3.

Why is the reason for such an "exotic" nickname XD ?

I think this guy only can say his name in English hehehe. It's a joke e? xD

Bye!

A write in this threath because I want to improve my english but if anyone says to me if i write well or not, i can't know if i'm in the right way.
Hi everybody, I'd like to introduce myself too in this thread. My user name is "Vershollene", it means "missing" in English, and I would like to improve my English level talking with all of you.

I didn't see this trhead before, but I found it very very interesting and useful. Congratulations.

See ya.
Verschollene escribió:Hi everybody, I'd like to introduce myself too in this thread. My user name is "Vershollene", it means "missing" in English, and I would like to improve my English level talking with all of you.

I didn't see this trhead before, but I found it very very interesting and useful. Congratulations.

See ya.

Do you mean "Vershollene" is the german for "missing"?
Yoooo, 'sup dawgs?

I found this thread a week ago but I didn't get the chance to write anything in English yet. I'm a native speaker, so I guess I can also help you if you're not sure about something, although I'm not a teacher so I might not be able to explain why something is one way or another. Is anyone else in EOL a native speaker like me?

See ya...!
Hombre grifo escribió:Yoooo, 'sup dawgs?

I found this thread a week ago but I didn't get the chance to write anything in English yet. I'm a native speaker, so I guess I can also help you if you're not sure about something, although I'm not a teacher so I might not be able to explain why something is one way or another. Is anyone else in EOL a native speaker like me?

See ya...!

I wish i were an English native speaker too.What does "Yoooo, 'sup dawgs?" means?.
Seeu
xDDDDD!

"Yoooo" is like saying "¡Eiiiiii...!" in Spanish, but it's from the typical "nigger" accent..."'Sup"= What's up?, and "Dawg"= dog...

If you browse around 4chan(especially /b/) you'll find it in photos like this one with XZibit:

Imagen

By the way, don't copy the grammar in that picture, it's wrong deliberately...
Native speaker? Where were you born? What is your nationality?
Being a bilingual as me or others in this forum is not the same that being a native. And yeah, visiting 4chan helps, but if you consider that a place for learning... :-|
I don't understand the humour of that picture, is it normal? xd

By the way, my future project is, after learning english in a very good way, try to learn chinese. I think it's fucking hard, but they're a lot of people! :P
Knos escribió:Native speaker? Where were you born? What is your nationality?
Being a bilingual as me or others in this forum is not the same that being a native. And yeah, visiting 4chan helps, but if you consider that a place for learning... :-|

I was born in Spain but my mother is Irish so I can speak in English(and read and write too!) fluently, so sorry, but I didn't learn with 4chan...

By the way, "being bilingual" (not a bilingual) and "not the same as being a native speaker" XD

KING_ALBe: no, it isn't normal, you have to browse around 4chan to find it funny xDD!
Hombre grifo escribió:
Knos escribió:Native speaker? Where were you born? What is your nationality?

I was born in Spain but my mother is Irish so I can speak in English(and read and write too!) fluently, so sorry, but I didn't learn with 4chan...

By the way, "being bilingual" (not a bilingual) and "not the same as being a native speaker" XD

KING_ALBe: no, it isn't normal, you have to browse around 4chan to find it funny xDD!

Oh shit, how lucky you are! All my family is from the deep Spain, although I make my best to try to reach a decent level [carcajad]

Thanks for the corrections, but I've seen many times the construction "the same that...", I guess it depends on american, british or something like that, even the register.
And last thing about 4chan... There are people who are not prepared, or won't ever be, so we cannot ask everyone to like it [carcajad]
Hi people!

This is my first post in the English thread, i hope there will be a lot of posts here that help me improving my english level.

I learned more english in the internet/ playing games/ listening music/ watching films or TV shows than in school. My english teacher was really bad :(

Actually i can watch movies or listen some music (not all music and not al movies, but Hey! it's not so bad :D) and understand almost all the sentences.

The times i gone to Holland or Deustchland and needed to talk in englis, people undestand me, and i understand them, but i talked like Tarzan [+risas] [+risas] [+risas]

Where do you think i can practise my english speak?

See you!
Retroakira escribió:Where do you think i can practise my english speak?

Best way is to have a french girlfriend, like me XD. But if u re not lucky on that, i'd say that the best way is reading and reading and reading books in english. I'm pretty sure that if u read a couple books each month u'll improve ur structure and sentences a lot in not a lot of time.
Good luck!
[]_MoU_[] escribió:

Best way is to have a french girlfriend, like me XD. But if u re not lucky on that, i'd say that the best way is reading and reading and reading books in english. I'm pretty sure that if u read a couple books each month u'll improve ur structure and sentences a lot in not a lot of time.
Good luck!

I have read a couple of books in english, Stephen King, Edgar Alan Poe, Terry Pratchet's Discworld series books (Unexpectedly, the most difficult because the amount of stupid comparations, adjectives and similar used on these books)... and watched Friends, My name is earl, South Park and a lot of movies... my comprehension and "listening" is great, but the problem is my speak xD

You are lucky on having a Frech girlfriend, but the frech people i have met don't speak english more than spanish people xD

Salut!
Retroakira escribió:
[]_MoU_[] escribió:

Good luck!

I have read a couple of books in english, Stephen King, Edgar Alan Poe, Terry Pratchet's Discworld series books (Unexpectedly, the most difficult because the amount of stupid comparations, adjectives and similar used on these books)... and watched Friends, My name is earl, South Park and a lot of movies... my comprehension and "listening" is great, but the problem is my speak xD

You are lucky on having a Frech girlfriend, but the frech people i have met don't speak english more than spanish people xD

Salut!

First u need to know how the expresions and sentences are, and for that, reading hundreds of books is necessary. Then u can improve the speaking, but without the right words and sentences in the right second u re completely fuck. Take it easy, step by step.

Anyway, if u want to practise ur speaking... i guess that u can go on holidays to UK or smtg like that... it's the best way. That and the "duo" staff that univesity use to make (they put u in contact with an english speaker, so u can teach him spanish and show the city and he teachs u english).

And yeah, the accent is almost as bad as mine, but at least she knows how to talk better than me :)

cheers
I think what Mou suggests is the best thing, speaking the language constantly is what helps better, and if there's someone there to correct you it will be easier to find your mistakes...
Knos escribió:
Verschollene escribió:Hi everybody, I'd like to introduce myself too in this thread. My user name is "Verschollene", it means "missing" in English, and I would like to improve my English level talking with all of you.

See ya.

Do you mean "Vershollene" is the german for "missing"?

Yes, moreless; I taked this name from the book "Der Verschollene" by Franz Kafka.
Verschollene escribió:taked

took, it is irregular, take-took- taken ;) . Retroakira, Terry pratchett uses accents and lisps and all that to create the characters. Therefore, a vampire will hiss, an igor will use the th, the witches use kind of a liverpool accent and so on. I thing I found in terry pratchett's books is that they make waaaay more sense in english, since he likes to play with words a lot.

Also retroakira, try to watch series with different accents not just american ones, i'd suggest shameless from UK, or little britain, the mighty boosh, and from Ireland father ted is a must see.

cheerio!
waylander escribió: and from Ireland father ted is a must see.

I love you [amor] ...
Father ted... I heard it's from the same writer from The IT Crowd... I should give it a try... (A girl from Scotland also recommended me The Mighty Boosh , where Richmod from The IT Crowd in one of the main characters...)

Anyway, I wanted to ask you something. I read in another topic that someone posted here a website where you can talk in English with your mic to other people learning English... (or something like that :P)

Anyway... I studied in the EOI = Escuela de Idiomas for 4 years (I didn't finish the last year, I started University in a different city and didn't have the time...) and that's where I learnt most of my English (also, I watch all films / tv shows in English, usually with English subtitles).

Thanks!
waylander escribió:
Verschollene escribió:taked

took, it is irregular, take-took- taken ;) . Retroakira, Terry pratchett uses accents and lisps and all that to create the characters. Therefore, a vampire will hiss, an igor will use the th, the witches use kind of a liverpool accent and so on. I thing I found in terry pratchett's books is that they make waaaay more sense in english, since he likes to play with words a lot.

Also retroakira, try to watch series with different accents not just american ones, i'd suggest shameless from UK, or little britain, the mighty boosh, and from Ireland father ted is a must see.

cheerio!

Thanks a lot! ;)
Hombre grifo escribió:
waylander escribió: and from Ireland father ted is a must see.

I love you [amor] ...

Father Dougal is f...ing brilliant. AlvaroBF, The guy in the IT crowd is not a main character but he appears sometimes in the mighty boosh. It is a very intersting show, they mix music with comedy, and the result is brilliant. Here's a video to one of the songs that i love from them, "eels" (anguilas)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AckvdGbk4w&feature=fvst
It's nice to have a thread like this one. I'd like to practice my english (it's getting a little bit "rusty"). I studied at the EOI too, It took me AGES to finish last year. Is anyone going to the UK or any other english speaking country this year?
Suppaiku escribió:It's nice to have a thread like this one. I'd like to practice my english (it's getting a little bit "rusty"). I studied at the EOI too, It took me AGES to finish last year. Is anyone going to the UK or any other english speaking country this year?

I´ll be in London for a week in July. 45 € in easyjet XD
I'll probably go to Ireland in summer, although I'm not sure yet...
the problem with london isnt how to go, its where to stay,
theres usualy those old victorian houses at earls court that are converted in to bed and breakfasts, last time i was there, a single room with included bathroom was around 30 GBP,

i use to go quite often for some project, and i just wasted my time, shame i missed most of the good stuff, covent gardens, camden town, the notting hill market, St james street, i guess i´ll have to go back at some moment and visit all the stuff i missed,
I'd like to go back to Eastbourne (I'm in Valencia now *sigh) then visit some friends in Brighton and my girlfriend in Bedford :P I'm trying to find cheap flights.
Well, if you guys have any time to spare, I recommend you an Irish TV Series called Father Ted, about three priests and the trouble they get into.

Father Ted - Father Furlong in the cave

Father Ted - Father Jack's selective deafness

Father Ted - Pulp Fiction

Father Ted - The Spider-baby
(mensaje borrado)
rockrider escribió:I am embarrased, I misled rules and I opened a post accidentally. I present myself, I really enjoy tiping in English.

Man, go to the thread of presentations [carcajad]
I guess you mean "you misread the rules" and you love "typing" in english :P

Welcome anyway, and enjoy this great website!
(mensaje borrado)
Hello everyone!
As this is an English only thread, I guess some of you probably have taken the proficiency in english exam from Cambridge. I wanted to ask if you guys could tell me if there's any grammar theory in it. I mean things like analysing sentences, finding out the structure, etc. (what in Spanish would be "sujeto", "predicado" and "complementos")
I'm asking because I got absolutely no idea about the theory, I just speak it, so i don't wanna go sit an exam and fail coz of the grammar.
Thanks in advance
I like red apples with some sugar and a staff in the middle, you know what I mean.
jairolas escribió:I like red apples with some sugar and a staff in the middle, you know what I mean.

A stick maybe? staff is like the one gandalf uses, or what the kings use (cetro) as symbol of power, along with the crown.

Anyway, they are called caramel apples or candy apples.
Dios Horus escribió:Hello everyone!
As this is an English only thread, I guess some of you probably have taken the proficiency in english exam from Cambridge. I wanted to ask if you guys could tell me if there's any grammar theory in it. I mean things like analysing sentences, finding out the structure, etc. (what in Spanish would be "sujeto", "predicado" and "complementos")
I'm asking because I got absolutely no idea about the theory, I just speak it, so i don't wanna go sit an exam and fail coz of the grammar.
Thanks in advance

I would prepare it, I mean, I have no idea about the exam either (Though I'd be pretty interested), but probably it'll be divided in several different exams, practice, listening, reading, writing and theory. I would advise you to prepare the gramma, and if you find out anything sure, come back here to comment k?
Thanks!
Knos escribió:
Dios Horus escribió:Hello everyone!
Thanks in advance

I would prepare it, I mean, I have no idea about the exam either (Though I'd be pretty interested), but probably it'll be divided in several different exams, practice, listening, reading, writing and theory. I would advise you to prepare the gramma, and if you find out anything sure, come back here to comment k?
Thanks!

Sure I will! I'll go round other forums and ask :)
funca está baneado por "No necesitamos usuarios con tu comportamiento en el foro, por favor búscate otro."
Hi! Well, I'm the king of the swingers, the jungle V.I.P., I reached the top and had to stop and that's what's bothering me. I wanna be a man mancub, and stroll right into town, and be just like the other men, I'm tired of monkeyin' around.
funca escribió:Hi! Well, I'm the king of the swingers, the jungle V.I.P., I reached the top and had to stop and that's what's bothering me. I wanna be a man mancub, and stroll right into town, and be just like the other men, I'm tired of monkeyin' around.

Sooo...Oobieh-dooh...! I wanna be like you...! I wanna walk like you, talk like you, to-o-o...! You'll see it's true-e-e...! An ape like me-e-e...! Can learn to be hu-u-uman to-o-o...!
LOL, eol is different than other webs XD
jaxdjaxd escribió:LOL, eol is different than other webs XD

Yes, and I still does not understand why English has room in EOL but other spanish co-official languages doesnt't..... you know what I mean.........

Well, well, I may subscribe to this thread! Must be interesting!
Hi there!

I am flying to UK next Tuesday since I'll be living over there. The place will be Loughborough University, where I'll study Mechanical Engineering, and I really hope everything will be fine. I learned English from TV shows and movies, and I am afraid I'm not going to be able to understand British English.

I got a score of 108 points for the TOEFL iBT test (I didn't study for the test and I didn't really know what it was like...), which kind of showed my profiency in English to the uni. Truth be told, TOEFL is American and no British conversations were played during the listening section.

So wish me luck with British English!

BTW, I was in Ireland last summer. I visited Dublin, Wicklow and some other places. Really nice country and people [risita]

PS: Please, highlight any mistakes
949 respuestas
15, 6, 7, 8, 919