[The other side] English

114, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Millencolin escribió:
don pelayo escribió:
Millencolin escribió:Could you tell me why?

You are facing an interrogative clause, and so the subject-auxiliary inversion rule applies here. That rules out a). Now, the question of past simple/past continuous arises. As you already know, you usually use the past simple for habits or states in the past, as well as finished actions which took place at a specific point in time, among other temporal contexts. The past continuous, however, is used for actions which were in progress in the past, usually in contrast with past finished actions. This case may seem not that straightforward because of the verb "stand", which is used in non-progressive forms in Spanish. The thing is verbs such as "sit", "wear" or "stand" are usually used in their progressive forms in English, thus b) is the choice to make.

Now I understand it. Thank you so much :)

You are most welcome.
We should bring up a topic to talk about. Anyone interested in politics?
marilyn1492 escribió:We should bring up a topic to talk about. Anyone interested in politics?

I hate politics and politicians, but perhaps, we should talk about that, some times I thought that the ploliticians needs a degree on politics science to work for us, not only a face and some good words.
Despertares escribió:
marilyn1492 escribió:We should bring up a topic to talk about. Anyone interested in politics?

I hate politics and politicians, but perhaps, we should talk about that, some times I thought that the ploliticians needs a degree on politics science to work for us, not only a face and some good words.

Me too. But I don't know any politics that works in this for the face.... Only for the money...
Politicians are essentially regular citizens who can't do their job properly. And that's not something exclusive to politicians; most people in this country just don't give a fuck about behaving like a human being should.

That was pretentious. I apologise.
MinaseTaki escribió:Politicians are essentially regular citizens who can't do their job properly. And that's not something exclusive to politicians; most people in this country just don't give a fuck about behaving like a human being should.

That was pretentious. I apologise.

I saw in your profile that you are in EEUU, concretely in the 7th circle of hell, I could understand you ,when you said that the people who lives in your country ,they aren't humans.

Sorry it´s a bad joke [poraki]
Desarchivado a petición de usuarios.

Byes.
gejorsnake escribió:Desarchivado a petición de usuarios.

Byes.

Thank you...

Hello!
_AsKa_ escribió:
gejorsnake escribió:Desarchivado a petición de usuarios.

Byes.

Thank you...

Hello!

Hi buddy! How are u doing? [fumando]
My english isn't very good xD
Happy new year, I know that is too late, but...
fshtravis escribió:What´s up nigga?

hey yo what's crackin in da hood?
what's crack-a-lackin'??
fshtravis escribió:what's crack-a-lackin'??

you buster ass nigga! you aint frum da hood no'mo!
TheOnlyMan está baneado por "Clon de usaurio baneado"
Despertares escribió:Happy new year, I know that it is too late, but...

You cant use a verb without a person.

Happy new year ;)
marilyn1492 escribió:
fshtravis escribió:what's crack-a-lackin'??

you buster ass nigga! you aint frum da hood no'mo!

Niggaz in the hood sayin "50's Grimy"
Ummmm, sorry, but we could talk about interesting issues instead of say stupid things...

Sorry but my English is terrible, i need improve it...
_AsKa_ escribió:Ummmm, sorry, but we could talk about interesting issues instead of say stupid things...

We ain talking no shit bro!
Just kidding. We should bring up a topic to talk about. Does anyone here have a Raspberry Pi? I might buy one soon and have plenty of questions about it.
I didn't knew this thread, suscribed!

I'm studying B2 this year, so this is interesting for me to practise writing. Correct me without mercy! XD

_AsKa_ escribió:Ummmm, sorry, but we could talk about interesting issues instead of say stupid things...

I'll correct some mistakes :)

Ummmm, sorry, but coud we talk about interesting issues instead of saying stupid things...

Sorry, but my English is terrible, I need to improve it...

Happy New Year everyone!
He didn't ask us to check his mistakes. }:/
Korso10 escribió:I didn't knew this thread, suscribed!

I'm studying B2 this year, so this is interesting for me to practise writing. Correct me without mercy! XD

Ummmm, sorry, but coud we talk about interesting issues instead of saying stupid things...

Happy New Year everyone!

If he was posing a question it should be "Could we talk", but I think that he was not, so "We could talk" is perfectly correct.
Korso10 escribió:I didn't know this thread, suscribed!

[oki]
Korso10 escribió:I didn't knew this thread, suscribed!

Happy New Year everyone!

Thank you, is good that somebody help us in the mistakes... Because I will have a lot of them... Or I must say: because I'm going to have a lot of them... ?

I'm confused...
_AsKa_ escribió:Thank you, it is good that somebody help us with the mistakes... Because I will have a lot of them... Or must I say: because I'm going to have a lot of them... ?

I'm confused...

I think "will" is correct, because it isn't something planned.

BTW, I'm not sure if you should use "must I" or "should I".
_AsKa_ escribió:Thank you, is good that somebody help us in the mistakes... Because I will have a lot of them... Or I must say: because I'm going to have a lot of them... ?

As a matter of fact, you can use both. There are some rules for different sitations but in the end you can use both.
Damn it, I'd never thought such a thing like this could be found in a spanish forum.
I am glad to have found it. Now I know a place to practice my formal written english and be corrected. I am going to have an exam by mid March.
I really hope to get the mark for the professional level. It has become a bit hard recently but nothing that can not be done since the real deal, is as usual the oral expression.
By the way be gentle.
(mensaje borrado)
TheOnlyMan escribió:If he was posing a question it should be "Could we talk", but I think that he was not, so "We could talk" is perfectly correct.

Now you've mentioned it, you are probably right [+risas] I thought the sentence in Spanish and it sounded like a question for me.

_Locke_ escribió:
Korso10 escribió:I didn't know this thread, suscribed!

[oki]

I'm ashamed [ayay] [carcajad]

marilyn1492 escribió:

We ain talking no shit bro!
Just kidding. We should bring up a topic to talk about. Does anyone here have a Raspberry Pi? I might buy one soon and have plenty of questions about it.

I have one, it's a pretty interesting board to do some "experiments". I'm using it with Raspbian as a Internet radio player for a DIY project, but I have done nothing new since September due to studies.
Raspberry Pi... I have listened talk about it, but I don't know exactly what is his function...
Korso10 escribió: I have one, it's a pretty interesting board to do some "experiments". I'm using it with Raspbian as a Internet radio player for a DIY project, but I have done nothing new since September due to studies.

That's pretty cool! Now you mention it, let me ask you some questions.
-Why did you choose Raspbian as your OS?
-Where did you get it? How long did it take since you made your order?
-Would you recommend getting a case for it?
I'm not really into computers but love messing around with these things.

_AsKa_ escribió:Raspberry Pi... I have listened talk about it, but I don't know exactly what is his function...

Check out this link: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/Raspbe ... Manual.pdf
Anyway, whether you want it for educational purposes or not, it's still a pretty cool gadget.
Loving this thread! Didnt know about this! The only english writting i do is "push mid, omw, chill, care, ganking bot, ward bushes, noobs everywhere..." some of you may know the game [carcajad] .
Didnt know about Raspberry Pi, seems cool!

BYEBYE
Morry Crisman an a japy niu yia

I am sure that nobody has used it yet [+risas]
This thread is really useful, since september i'm doing an english course, this year I finish my telecommunication degree and I hope I can find work in England, I have a few friends there to make it all easier, but first i must practice english a lot jejeje

There are another "eolians" (I don't know if this term is correct, I guess so XD) in the same situation as me?
Mike-Ville escribió:This thread is really useful, since september i'm doing an english course, this year I finish my telecommunication degree and I hope I can find work in England, I have a few friends there to make it all easier, but first i must practice english a lot jejeje

There are another "eolians" (I don't know if this term is correct, I guess so XD) in the same situation as me?

Hi there! I'm studying telecommunication engineering too, not the degree though, it's the old 5 year long "Licenciatura" XD
Eolians sounds about right, so I would go for it, btw, if you wanna practice your English, why don't you try watching TV or reading books? It's a great help and you might learn tons of stuff that are not in the usual text books.
Also, I think it would be better to say "other eolians", not "another eolians" [oki]
marilyn1492 escribió:
Korso10 escribió: I have one, it's a pretty interesting board to do some "experiments". I'm using it with Raspbian as a Internet radio player for a DIY project, but I have done nothing new since September due to studies.

That's pretty cool! Now you mention it, let me ask you some questions.
-Where did you get it? How long did it take since you made your order?
I'm not really into computers but love messing around with these things.

_AsKa_ escribió:Raspberry Pi... I have listened talk about it, but I don't know exactly what is his function...

Check out this link: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/Raspbe ... Manual.pdf
Anyway, whether you want it for educational purposes or not, it's still a pretty cool gadget.

Well, it seems to be the most stable distribution and according to the forums it is more optimized than the others, because it is the "official" Linux distribution for Raspberry Pi, so the developers know how to get the best performance from the capabilities of the CPU. Nevertheless, it is pretty slow if you plain to use like a standard computer, because according to developers, the CPU power is like and old 300Mhz Pentium 2 (with a VERY powerful GPU), so you can watch HD video smoothly, but browsing the Internet is slow. There are other distributions like RaspMC that include XBMC (a media center software) so you can start watching HD videos without any configuration.

Where did you get it? How long did it take since you made your order?
When the first units were ready to ship, I ordered two Raspberrys, one from Farnell and one from RS, and I had to wait like a month or so to get the boards. I recently sold one of them in these forums. The board from Farnell came with a free t-shirt XD

I've been using it without any case, but I probably recommend getting one. The new units, however, include 2 holes to install the boards with screws, so if you like DIY, you can construct your own case, and you can design it to meet your requeriments, for example, giving enough space to install a harddrive.
Sometimes when my father hits me in the face with a pan, it turns me on. ¿What the fuck is wrong with me people?

Thanks beforehand.
AxL_ escribió:Sometimes when my father hits me in the face with a pan, it turns me on. ¿What the fuck is wrong with me people?

Thanks beforehand.

You are a retarded madafaka, nigga.

Thats all the english that I used to hear in Spain. Sometimes I feel that I'm in the Bronx.
Sometimes when I'm drinking milk, I stare at my dad for the longest of time while he's watching television and once he gets the feeling of being watched, he turns around and asks me what am I doing and I say, "I'm drinking Milk Plus, this would sharpen you up and get you ready for a bit of the old.....ultraviolence" and then he goes inside the kitchen and pours himself a glass of milk.
ACGuy escribió:Sometimes when I'm drinking milk, I stare at my dad for the longest of time while he's watching television and once he gets the feeling of being watched, he turns around and asks me what am I doing and I say, "I'm drinking Milk Plus, this would sharpen you up and get you ready for a bit of the old.....ultraviolence" and then he goes inside the kitchen and pours himself a glass of milk.

Excuse me sir (if I may call you that). I can hardly believe in your story BECAUSE YOU ARE A CAT. Prove me if I'm wrong [buenazo]
AxL_ escribió:
ACGuy escribió:Sometimes when I'm drinking milk, I stare at my dad for the longest of time while he's watching television and once he gets the feeling of being watched, he turns around and asks me what am I doing and I say, "I'm drinking Milk Plus, this would sharpen you up and get you ready for a bit of the old.....ultraviolence" and then he goes inside the kitchen and pours himself a glass of milk.

Excuse me sir (if I may call you that). I can hardly believe in your story BECAUSE YOU ARE A CAT. Prove me if I'm wrong [buenazo]

And you're drunk, therefore, your argument is invalid.
ACGuy escribió:And you're drunk, therefore, your argument is invalid.

Excuse me cat, don't you ever dare blaming me with your own destruction :o
I did not know that this thread still existed. I might make a good use of it someday.
baronluigi escribió:I did not know that this thread still existed. I might make a good use of it someday.

Hello, some question... Are you the same that used to wrote in snesorama in DReamcast section?

I'm enjoyed a lot with your work...
Anyone still wanting to talk a little bit?
AkrosRockBell escribió:
Hi there! I'm studying telecommunication engineering too, not the degree though, it's the old 5 year long "Licenciatura" XD
Eolians sounds about right, so I would go for it, btw, if you wanna practice your English, why don't you try watching TV or reading books? It's a great help and you might learn tons of stuff that are not in the usual text books.
Also, I think it would be better to say "other eolians", not "another eolians" [oki]

While I was reading your post I have seen other mistake in mine, I wrote "degree" but is incorrect, because I am studying telecommunication engineering with the "old plan studies" like you, but in my case is the 3 years long, the complete name is "Telecommunication engineering, telematics specialization", since the first year, the most part of my subjects are about networking (Routers, routing algorithms, LAN, WAN, standars, ...) and programming with different languages ( C, C++ and Java the most part of the time). This engineering is easier than yours of course, but i expect that with a complementary formation I will have a chance to access to a good job.

I think you are right, watching movies or learnign is a good way to improve it, this christmas i have been watching Dragon Ball movies in English and without subs jajaja as I know the story is easier understand all the conversations jejeje When I have a better english level i will try to watch other type of movies.

HardRowToHoe if you want I would be delighted to talk with you. What are your hobbies? Are you studying or working? Don't be shy, I have a lot of mistakes and this is a good way to beginning to correct it jejeje
Oh, I didn't know bout this thread
I spend near all day speaking in English, but almost never had a chance to write :(

I'm dead serious bout improving my writing skills !!

Sadly today... in my head... nothing to write home about [+risas]
Hi Mike-Ville&Co,

what's up? (I always feel so gangsta when I ask how are you this way, I don't know why xD). I'm so glad I found this thread because my English is getting a bit rusty due to the lack of use. It's been two years since I stopped studying it! I see you guys are studying Engineering. That's good because I am studying Engineering as well. My hobbies are basically martial arts and reading but I enjoy any kind of sport.

Well, see you around!(Hopefully :) )
Muy buenas gente,

necesitaría vuestra ayuda, os comento. Tengo que exponer mi trabajo de investigación y quiero poner un breve vídeo explicativo, es de Steve Jobs y es un fragmento de 1 minuto 30 de un documental de la BBC.
Necesitaría que me lo pudieráis traducir, incluyendo las intervenciones que se hacen en ese documental. Muchas gracias de antemano, aquí os dejo el link.
Solo necesito hasta el 1:30.
[url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC3qFtge ... GGth0ej6nQ[/url]
ivaniko19 escribió:Muy buenas gente,

necesitaría vuestra ayuda, os comento. Tengo que exponer mi trabajo de investigación y quiero poner un breve vídeo explicativo, es de Steve Jobs y es un fragmento de 1 minuto 30 de un documental de la BBC.
Necesitaría que me lo pudieráis traducir, incluyendo las intervenciones que se hacen en ese documental. Muchas gracias de antemano, aquí os dejo el link.
Solo necesito hasta el 1:30.
[url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC3qFtge ... GGth0ej6nQ[/url]

Not sure this is what you wanted, but I've trascribed the part you need:

October this year. Around the world, devoted fans mourn the death of Steve Jobs, the force of nature behind Apple.

He distorted reality... it's a mixture of charisma, uh... chutzpah, bullshit, self-belief, self-delusion and insane ambition.

Apple's high-tech products have inspired fervour, defining cool consumerism for a worldwide tribe, hyped by the man who personified the brand.

It works like magic.

They look so good you kind of want to lick them. It's unbelievable.

No one had quite that mixture of arrogance, humility, talent and presence that Steve Jobs had.

He's changed music, he's changed movies, he's changed computers a couple of times, he's created industries that we didn't think we needed.

Jobs was a perfectionist.

For Steve everything was about taste, just like someone writing a great piece of music.

And a tyrant.

Steve Jobs yelling at you with his full force is kind of a... a pretty frightening thing for most people.

How did a drug-taking college dropout create one of the most successful corporations in the world?

His hippy background made him a better billionaire.

This is the inside story of how Steve Jobs took Apple from a suburban garage to global supremacy.

However, I'll leave the translation up to you, since I don't want to spoil the joy of doing your own work XD.
949 respuestas
114, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19