[The other side] English

115, 16, 17, 18, 19
Tony Skyrunner escribió:
ivaniko19 escribió:Muy buenas gente,

necesitaría vuestra ayuda, os comento. Tengo que exponer mi trabajo de investigación y quiero poner un breve vídeo explicativo, es de Steve Jobs y es un fragmento de 1 minuto 30 de un documental de la BBC.
Necesitaría que me lo pudieráis traducir, incluyendo las intervenciones que se hacen en ese documental. Muchas gracias de antemano, aquí os dejo el link.
Solo necesito hasta el 1:30.
[url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC3qFtge ... GGth0ej6nQ[/url]

Not sure this is what you wanted, but I've trascribed the part you need:

October this year. Around the world, devoted fans mourn the death of Steve Jobs, the force of nature behind Apple.

He distorted reality... it's a mixture of charisma, uh... chutzpah, bullshit, self-belief, self-delusion and insane ambition.

Apple's high-tech products have inspired fervour, defining cool consumerism for a worldwide tribe, hyped by the man who personified the brand.

It works like magic.

They look so good you kind of want to lick them. It's unbelievable.

No one had quite that mixture of arrogance, humility, talent and presence that Steve Jobs had.

He's changed music, he's changed movies, he's changed computers a couple of times, he's created industries that we didn't think we needed.

Jobs was a perfectionist.

For Steve everything was about taste, just like someone writing a great piece of music.

And a tyrant.

Steve Jobs yelling at you with his full force is kind of a... a pretty frightening thing for most people.

How did a drug-taking college dropout create one of the most successful corporations in the world?

His hippy background made him a better billionaire.

This is the inside story of how Steve Jobs took Apple from a suburban garage to global supremacy.

However, I'll leave the translation up to you, since I don't want to spoil the joy of doing your own work XD.

Muchas gracias, estoy seguro de que me servirá

Thank you so much!
Tony Skyrunner escribió:However, I'll leave the translation up to you, since I don't want to spoil the joy of doing your own work XD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew

Jajajaja! xD
The other day, in my English classes, the teacher recommended I, robot book from Isaac Asimov to read. It's from Oxford Bookworms Library. Sounds interesting, and I like reading a lot, but when I try to read in English, that's a different history. Last book I tried was A wise man's fear, but I was losing all the beauty of the language that I can actually appreciate when I read books in Spanish. I hope this time will be different.
i hope the "I, robot" history, may change in English, because i read the book in Spanish a few years ago and i didn´t like it. I like much more the movie about.

I´m trying to read "Doomsday" by Graham Brown, and the vocabulary isn´t being too easy for me, there are a lot of words that i don´t know, i have to improve it.
TheOnlyMan está baneado por "Clon de usaurio baneado"
Korso10 escribió:The other day, in my English classes, the teacher recommended I, robot book from Isaac Asimov to read. It's from Oxford Bookworms Library. Sounds interesting, and I like reading a lot, but when I try to read in English, that's a different history. Last book I tried was A wise man's fear, but I was losing all the beauty of the language that I can actually appreciate when I read books in Spanish. I hope this time will be different.

Well, if you have seen the movie you know what to expect ;)

Btw, it is "A different story". ;)
hey, what's up? Nobody want to talk about whatever? I thought that this thread will be more active [+risas]
Mike-Ville escribió:hey, what's up? Nobody want to talk about whatever? I thought that this thread will be more active [+risas]

would be more active.

If you want a challenge reading a book in English, try 'The road' (there is a film based on this book). It has a very, very difficult language and words.

PD: btw, for those of you talking about watching movies in English. I was awful in my listening tests. Since some years ago I started watching TV series and movies in English (with subtitles most of the time), and now is one the bests English skills I've got (I scored 29 out 30 in the TOEFL). Unfortunately there isn't anything similar to improve my writing or speaking :(
I recommend the Yakuza games to everyone that wants to practice their english. Belive me, those games has a LOT of text with a massively number of npcs, and a lot of side missions (about 60 or more), and every one has their own story (aside to the main story that is really interesting.)

I've been playing all those games for the last months and i think that i've improved a lot my english thanks to that [Ooooo], but be careful, cuz due to their main theme (i mean, the world of the yakuza and "other criminal bands", street punks....) they have a lot of street/popular/colloquial words and expresions that can be difficult to understand, but i think that thanks to the context and reactions of the characters in every situation, you can do it [Ooooo]
lol I didn't know there was an english thread and... well it's actually kind of awkward 'cause I mean, what are we are supposed to say uh?
Anyway I just wanted to say hi and I hope this helps me out to practice a little bit my shitty English skills.
Korso10 escribió:The other day, in my English classes, the teacher recommended I, robot book from Isaac Asimov to read. It's from Oxford Bookworms Library. Sounds interesting, and I like reading a lot, but when I try to read in English, that's a different history. Last book I tried was A wise man's fear, but I was losing all the beauty of the language that I can actually appreciate when I read books in Spanish. I hope this time will be different.

For what?.
is no the same book in english?.
It's the same book, but sometimes when reading in English while still learning it's hard to acknowledge all the sensations or ideas that the author wants to share.
@korso, I Robot has an easy English in my opinion but it may be hard to understand some scientific words. I read it in Spanish and happened to me hehe.
Chote escribió:It's the same book, but sometimes when reading in English while still learning it's hard to acknowledge all the sensations or ideas that the author wants to share.
@korso, I Robot has an easy English in my opinion but it may be hard to understand some scientific words. I read it in Spanish and happened to me hehe.

well, ¿same book but diferent ideas and sensations in diferent language? (no sé, idioma es language, corregidme si me equivoco).
Interesting, I think to read a one book in english if the /pasa/ same with other tittles.
Zack_VII escribió:I recommend the Yakuza games to everyone that wants to practice their english. Belive me, those games has a LOT of text with a massively number of npcs, and a lot of side missions (about 60 or more), and every one has their own story (aside to the main story that is really interesting.)

I've been playing all those games for the last months and i think that i've improved a lot my english thanks to that [Ooooo], but be careful, cuz due to their main theme (i mean, the world of the yakuza and "other criminal bands", street punks....) they have a lot of street/popular/colloquial words and expresions that can be difficult to understand, but i think that thanks to the context and reactions of the characters in every situation, you can do it [Ooooo]

I completely agree.

Meanwhile, Zack, play Ni no Kuni. I'm saying this because you're always playing games like Far Cry 3, Dishonored and other shooters and finally, try to do less photos in steam please about those ones, I'm bored to watch them.

JURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

@nesquik

It's the first time I see you posting in other topics far away from hardware's and overcloking.

Time spent writting this lines:

30 sec.
Nesquick, what I mean is that when we are learning other language there are many words or sentences that we don't understand. That makes a reading more difficult and frustrating because you spend a lot of time searching meanings and so losing the point of the reading (esto último seria perder el hilo de la lectura, sí alguien me dice cuál es la expresión correcta lo agradecería)
I have read only two books in english, and it was..8-9 years ago [+risas] But I practice reading a lot of in foreigner forums, lyrics of my favourite songs,etc. I suppose I should download a new book and give it a try. On a different topic, anyone can suggest me a basic/intermediate grammar book? If it is upload in a web I'll be grateful [sonrisa] I need to improve my grammar [+risas]

Cheers!
Chote escribió:Nesquick, what I mean is that when we are learning other language there are many words or sentences that we don't understand. That makes a reading more difficult and frustrating because you spend a lot of time searching meanings and so losing the point of the reading (esto último seria perder el hilo de la lectura, sí alguien me dice cuál es la expresión correcta lo agradecería)

I would say "missing the point of the reading". You don't lose the point in any place, like a wallet, you just miss it.
_Locke_ escribió:
Chote escribió:Nesquick, what I mean is that when we are learning other language there are many words or sentences that we don't understand. That makes a reading more difficult and frustrating because you spend a lot of time searching meanings and so losing the point of the reading (esto último seria perder el hilo de la lectura, sí alguien me dice cuál es la expresión correcta lo agradecería)

I would say "missing the point of the reading". You don't lose the point in any place, like a wallet, you just miss it.

Thanks dude :)
All the fan translated manga I read is in English. I find them much easier to read than those translated to Spanish (mostly by people from South America).
_Locke_ escribió:

I am afraid it is far simpler than that. Perder el hilo de la lectura-->"lose the thread of the story". If you miss something, you fail to hear, notice or understand it, unless it is a train, of course. If you "lose the thread", you just lose concentration, which is precisely what Chote means by "lose the point" in his post. Of course, there is a reason why you would say "miss the point" rather than "lose the point"; the former is a frequent collocation in English and the latter the result of interlanguage transfer. Yet your rephrasing does not convey the meaning Chote intended for his original phrase, because "miss the point" means "fail to understand it" or "fail to notice it", not "lose concentration". That said, "Lose the point" may be an acceptable phrase in English as long as it is used in the appropriate context, say, a conversation about last week's volleyball match. [+risas]
don pelayo escribió:I am afraid it is far simpler than that. Perder el hilo de la lectura-->"lose the thread of the story". If you miss something, you fail to hear, notice or understand it, unless it is a train, of course. If you "lose the thread", you just lose concentration, which is precisely what Chote means by "lose the point" in his post. Of course, there is a reason why you would say "miss the point" rather than "lose the point"; the former is a frequent collocation in English and the latter the result of interlanguage transfer. Yet your rephrasing does not convey the meaning Chote intended for his original phrase, because "miss the point" means "fail to understand it" or "fail to notice it", not "lose concentration". That said, "Lose the point" may be an acceptable phrase in English as long as it is used in the appropriate context, say, a conversation about last week's volleyball match. [+risas]

I get it. I didn't know the existence of this phrase. Amazingly obvious. You learn something new everyday. [carcajad]

I knew what "miss the point" meant, but I thought about it as an approach of what he wanted to say.
If someone wants to improve their listening skills, I recommend watching Futurama. I always watch shows with english subtitles, but I find easy to understand Futurama without any subtitle.

[bye]
Zack_VII escribió:I recommend the Yakuza games to everyone that wants to practice their english. Belive me, those games has a LOT of text with a massively number of npcs, and a lot of side missions (about 60 or more), and every one has their own story (aside to the main story that is really interesting.)

slang. almost every game or tv movie/series has it, and it's difficult indeed.

i have to write a 2000 words report. it must be done by tuesday. does anyone want to help me? XD
ChiEc escribió:If someone wants to improve their listening skills, I recommend watching Futurama. I always watch shows with english subtitles, but I find easy to understand Futurama without any subtitle.

[bye]

If you use the third person, with wants, later it would be his/her listening skills.
kxalvictor escribió:

1. By 'those games' you are referring to a plural subject, so you should use 'have' instead of 'has'.

2. 'Massively' is an adverb, in my opinion massive (which is the adjective) fits better in that sentence.

3. 'Missions' is fine, but I would rather go for 'quests' instead.

Hope this doesn't bother, and if I wrote something wrong feel free to point it out. ;)
ChiEc escribió:If someone wants to improve their listening skills, I recommend watching Futurama. I always watch shows with english subtitles, but I find easy to understand Futurama without any subtitle.

[bye]

Right now I'm watching Adventure Time.

I used to watch MEGAS XLR (Cartoon Network) but Youtube deleted the original user's account and videos, and now I don't have anything to watch but AT :( and it's sad because I started watching it in English without subtitles and I understood the 95% of the episodes. Men, I'm getting older...
Hi there!

Today I just found out that there is this app to learn and practice how to use the phrasal verbs.

I think ist´s not been posted before (using the search I had no matches).

Imagen
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rasalverbs
Awesome!.
Is it available for iOS too?.

Thanks
Lol, thanks buddy! I´ll try it.
Hi there!

I'm new in this thread and I want to improve my English writing here and talking with you, if you want.

I'm trying to get B2 Certificate in an Accademy. I más there from severas months and I will have the exam in June. I haven't many problems with my writing, reading and grammar (I think), but I have to improve my listening and Speaking.

I practice my Speaking too days a week with my partners and teacher, but I think I have to practice much more my Listening. In that way I usually watch films in VO with English's subtitules, but I would like you to recommended me something alternative.

However I'm not happy with my writing and I beg you to help me in that way too.

Thank you :)
Tal-Elmar escribió:Hi there!

I'm new to this thread and I want to improve my English by writing here and talking with you, if you want.

I'm trying to get a B2 Certificate in an academy. I have beenthere from several months and I am sitting the exam in June. I don't have many problems with my writing, reading and grammar (I think), but I have to improve my listening and Speaking.

I practice my Speaking two days a week with my classmates and teacher, but I think I need a lot more listening practice. In this sense, I usually watch films in OV with English subtitules, but I would like you to recommend me some alternative.

However I'm not happy with my writing and I beg you to help me with that too.

Thank you :)

My suggestion is for you to remove the subtitles from the films you watch. Your listening comprehension will greatly benefit from it, although you will probably struggle to even understand the most basic sentences at first. I would start with action films and gradually move on to movies with more intricate plots. I don't think I need to explain why...[carcajad]

As for speaking... read aloud to acquire pronunciation fluency, make some sense out of what you are reading while you are at it, and be consistent about it. And yes, speak. Speak to your classmates, and speak to yourself. You may want to propose them to meet up at a local pub once a week for conversational exchange. You won't get a lot of reliable feedback from one another, but you will definitely put your speaking skills into practice, thus acquiring valuable communication fluency.

I'd like to share a few more tips with you, but unfortunately I must sign off now for a meet-up with an old friend. Maybe next time.

Cheers!
Dune26 está baneado por "Troll"
Hi buddys I'm new in this forum. I would like to know what is the difference between use (do) and (make). I mean when is better to use every of this verbs, i mean in what circumstances is better use every of this verbs.
Also I would like to say that to improve english I'm currently reading The walking dead comics and I usually reading adapt books for children, in this way is as I'm learning so much writting, reading and listening.
Under my point of view to learn English fluently first there are that learn to know say phrases without having to think without using grammar, grammar is after you already know as to speak fluent. If you focus in grammar ever learnt to speak english fluent.
Also i would like to know when i can use (even) or (still) for example yesterday in a movie I listen to say this phrase ( This is no even my desk.) Este no es aún mi escritorio. O este todavía no es mi escritorio. In this phare we could use as well This is no still my desk. Este no es todavía mi escritorio. For example in this phrase ( But that's not even the best part.) Traducida , Pero eso no es aún o todavia la mejor parte. Entonces puedo usar en ambas palabras still y even o no? Otro ejemplo yo puedo decir, I even/still no have enough skill speaking english. Have if you know when use one or other.
Dune26 escribió:Hi buddys I'm new in this forum. I would like to know what is the difference between use (do) and (make). I mean when is better to use every of this verbs, i mean in what circumstances is better use every of this verbs.
Also I would like to say that to improve english I'm currently reading The walking dead comics and I usually reading adapt books for children, in this way is as I'm learning so much writting, reading and listening.
Under my point of view to learn English fluently first there are that learn to know say phrases without having to think without using grammar, grammar is after you already know as to speak fluent. If you focus in grammar ever learnt to speak english fluent.
Also i would like to know when i can use (even) or (still) for example yesterday in a movie I listen to say this phrase ( This is no even my desk.) Este no es aún mi escritorio. O este todavía no es mi escritorio. In this phare we could use as well This is no still my desk. Este no es todavía mi escritorio. For example in this phrase ( But that's not even the best part.) Traducida , Pero eso no es aún o todavia la mejor parte. Entonces puedo usar en ambas palabras still y even o no? Otro ejemplo yo puedo decir, I even/still no have enough skill speaking english. Have if you know when use one or other.

Make is used when you are the maker of something, I mean, when you've built it or created it. Use do for all the rest.
Oh Ty for you answer. the truth is that I was sometimes having issues with this verbs.
I'm not agree with the topic about start reading books difficults to learn catch vocabulary. I would recommend start since a basic things. Books for children is a good beginning. In this web (tehparadox.com) In the thread about book You can find many books by degree of difficulty. Aslo I recommend essential to purchase an E-reader or Tablet to read easier. And don't waste your money in adverts that promise to learn English in a short period of time, that's false and only can archieve that the gifted. [hallow]
Hi! What do you think about persona 4? I'm going to try play it, but I'm something scare because my English level is quite bad...

I'm working a lot and I can't study English language, but I try watch tv series in vose (I can't read English subtlites so quick) or play games in the same language.

Surely it doesn't work to have the Shakespeare level, but I want understand texts by my own.
Under my point of view the best game to learn English is World of Warcraft in the English servers and with the game in English as well. The bigger community of players around the world 8 million of players is currently playing. When you join to a guild and step by step you level up you character you realize how many content you have to explorer and lot of stuff in English. If you don't try it you never will know if It is useful. To me if have been a lot of useful for this purpose.
_AsKa_ escribió:Hi! What do you think about persona 4? I'm going to try play it, but I'm a little scared because my English level is quite bad...

I'm working a lot and I can't study English language, but I try to watch tv series in vose (I can't read English subtitles so quick) or play games in the same language.

Surely it doesn't work to have the Shakespeare's level, but I want to understand texts by my own.

Hello, I've just seen this thread, and I thought that it would be nice to correct someone in the first place and help him with his English. Sorry if I missed something. Excuse me again, but I don't know the answer for your question.
akpla escribió:
_AsKa_ escribió:Hi! What do you think about persona 4? I'm going to try play it, but I'm a little scared because my English level is quite bad...

I'm working a lot and I can't study English language, but I try to watch tv series in vose (I can't read English subtitles so quick) or play games in the same language.

Surely it doesn't work to have Shakespeare's level, but I want to understand texts on my own.

Hello, I've just seen this thread, and I thought that it would be nice to correct someone in the first place and help him with his English. Sorry if I missed something. Excuse me again, but I don't know the answer for your question.

You missed a couple of things, but mostly pretty good ^^ (notice there is no longer a "the" before "Shakespeare's level). Although I''m not really user want you mean to say with the last sentence, _AsKa_.
I can't understand "american" people, they call themselves "Americans", but why?, There are more countries in America!!!
Kimy Hardy escribió:I can't understand "american" people, they call themselves "Americans", but why?, There are more countries in America!!!

Because their country is United States of America? They also refer to themselves as US citizens.
Hi everyone, I would like to ask a few questions.
For example, A person say me: - Sorry. On one particular action.
And after that I answer for example: No matter.
Is it correct say no matter or is more correct to say It doesn't matter?
Or could I to say for example - you are welcome.
Dune26 escribió:Hi everyone, I would like to ask a few questions.

I say this: "don't worry", "don't you worry", or "that's alright", and you could also say you are welcome/not at all.
For example, A person tells me: - Sorry. On one particular action.
Is it correct to say no matter or is more correct to say It doesn't matter?

"You are welcome" is an answer to a thankful person. It makes no sense.

I never use "no matter" on this context, but I'm not sure if it's wrong. You can say "It doesn't matter", "It's OK", "It's fine", "No problem", "Don't worry" or just "Fine". I'd rather say "It's OK".

I'm not an english teacher, not even close but I'll try to answer your questions.

When someone tells you that he/she is sorry, I'd say: It's ok or It doesn't matter ( unless it does matter )... I think both are just fine. However, when you do a favor to someone and he/she tells you "thank you" I'd say: You're welcome or no mention it ( as long as you are thankful for what she/he did for you. I think these are the most common ones.
Armin Tamzarian escribió:
For example, A person tells me: - Sorry. On one particular action.
Is it correct to say no matter or is more correct to say It doesn't matter?

"You are welcome" is an answer for a thankful person. It makes no sense.

I never use "no matter" on this context, but I'm not sure it is wrong. You can say "It doesn't matter", "It's OK", "It's fine", "No problem", "Don't worry" or just "Fine". I'd rather say "It's OK".

OK??????? i like "alright", OK is a quintessentially American term
I'm not an english teacher, not even close but I'll try to answer your questions.

When someone tells you that he/she is sorry, I'd say: It's ok or It doesn't matter ( unless it does matter )... I think both are just fine. However, when you do a favor to someone and he/she tells you "thank you" I'd say: You're welcome or no mention it ( as long as you are thankful for what she/he did for you. I think these are the most common ones.

Yes thank you, It is everything correct, your answer all my questions pretty good.
The fact is that I know a lot of expressions but they are still tricky for me to use them all. [carcajad]
Dune26 escribió:

Yes thank you, It is everything correct, your answer all my questions pretty good.
The fact is that I know a lot of expressions but they are still tricky for me to use them all. [carcajad]

You're welcome! :p I'm glad to be helpful. Don't worry about the expressions, it takes time but we'll make it! XD
hello! I have a question for you:
when people says to me: thanks! or thank you very much!, I must response them "you are welcome"? there are any other sentence that I can use?

and other question: why the english use "you are welcome" for tell "de nada"? it means "tu eres bienvenido" XD
klaim2003 escribió:hello! I have a question for you:
when people says to me: thanks! or thank you very much!, I must response them "you are welcome"? there are any other sentence that I can use?

and other question: why the english use "you are welcome" for tell "de nada"? it means "tu eres bienvenido" XD

When someone tells you "thank you" you can use different ways to say " you're welcome". For example in UK I think they usually use " don't mention it" and "you're welcome" ( USA ). Although you can also say: It's ok, no problem, It's fine, It's alright, don't worry...
pedrito10 escribió:
klaim2003 escribió:hello! I have a question for you:

When someone tells you "thank you" you can use different ways to say " you're welcome". For example in UK I think they usually use " don't mention it" and "you're welcome" ( USA ). Although you can also say: It's ok, no problem, It's fine, It's alright, don't worry...

and "not at all"
Yes, for example when I do a favour to someone it is correct that he or she says me you're welcome.
Otherwise It is correct say It's everything okey, It's okey, Don't worry, or It doesn't matter. All them It's okey. Ty all
949 respuestas
115, 16, 17, 18, 19